VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of key items to take note of is that "content providers" are crying that they're losing money, but under this "spying" scheme they are the ones funding the operation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just more of the same p2p and torrent crackdown.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Imagine that....
    Big brother at it again....

I wonder when they are going to start policing netflix and local rental stores for people who might be renting and copying dvd's/Bluray's

Are they going to ban all out of country websites next, from our internet access so we can't get things like DVDFab, Etc. ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are they going to ban all out of country websites next, from our internet access so we can't get things like DVDFab, Etc. ?
    how'd you know, someone leak it?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Isn't it funny how bad some of these countries are in with the economy the way it is, Instead of finding ways to improve the economy all they have to worry about is the internet and copyright infridgement, Just goes to show you the Governments still cater to the rich, Especially the movie industry, But the movie industries only have them selfs to blame with all the poor movies being produced lately, And now when the election is coming up in the United States they really cater to Hollywood so Hollywood will donate money for there elections.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!

I rented transformers 3, paid 2.50 to rent the bluray for 2 days....

OMG hollywood lost out on $20.00 because i did not buy it!!!!!!

WAIT !!!!!

They lost out on millions of $$$$ because thousands of people rented it for $2.50 instead if buying it for $20.00 each!!!!

I say they need to shut down every rental store in the world and classify every person who rents a movie as a thief because they did not buy it, yet were able to watch it!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's a sad day when spying on people without a warrant is allowed. Soon the storm troopers will be at your front door arresting you for one thing or another. Didn't this happen before. I guess we are regressing in time. Was the Mayan calender right. The world is coming to an end. So get your affairs in order.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    According to your second-linked article, this has the greatest impact upon those using P2P absent certain safeguards or additional countermeasures. But, meanwhile, I'm sure the war against filehosts that is aimed at their extinction will continue apace. MegaUpload is apt to have plenty of company, as further trophies mounted on Big Content's wall.

This latest campaign may succeed in the short term, unless we see the sort of major public "pushback" that scuttled Round One for SOPA and PIPA. I really don't know, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Let me add something further: 'Nature Abhors a Vacuum', and, in this sort of thing, you should never dismiss or discount the "Whack-A-Mole" factor. User practice and expectations are unlikely to change, no matter what the powers-that-be may try to do. Other means may emerge, even ones that none of us presently saw coming.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you never know, with the right judge and an open mind megaupload could be found innocent. there are safe harbor provisions in the laws they are charged with violating. it all depends on how take down notices were handled.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    you never know, with the right judge and an open mind megaupload could be found innocent.
    Not likely. They prosecutor has emails where megaupload employees discuss files they themselves uploaded, and discussed how to get more copyrighted material to increase subscribership.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    you never know, with the right judge and an open mind megaupload could be found innocent.
    Not likely. They prosecutor has emails where megaupload employees discuss files they themselves uploaded, and discussed how to get more copyrighted material to increase subscribership.

didn't know that. screwed themselves. why the heck would they put crap like that in emails and allow them to be publicly viewed? dopes. that's basically the same way they took down an nsp for the first time a couple years ago.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    why the heck would they put crap like that in emails and allow them to be publicly viewed?
    They didn't allow the emails to be publicly viewed. I don't remember the exact details but I think the emails were on the servers when they were confiscated. Ars Technica has been following the case closely. If you search through their articles you''ll find the details. For example:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/legal-experts-say-megaupload-faces-long-odds.ars
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    We are -- what ? -- 30 years into the PC age now ? It's nothing short of amazing how ignorant (or lax) most users continue to be about such things: digital "paper trails"; a multiplicity of things that are stored on computer (& networks, & backups); how 'Delete' is actually very far short of 'destroy.'
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is the law of unintended consequences is going to rear its ugly head down the road on this. I am not a lawyer, but by agreeing to play cop it seems to me that the ISPs are now abandoning safe harbor protections and I've got a feeling that some of them are going to regret it. I really have no explanation for how so many legal departments in the ISPs could sign off on this as a good idea. In theory once safe harbor is gone, the ISP could be held accountable for EVERYTHING that happens on their network, not just copyright violations.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just hope downloading from YouTube is exempt.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    why the heck would they put crap like that in emails and allow them to be publicly viewed?
    They didn't allow the emails to be publicly viewed. I don't remember the exact details but I think the emails were on the servers when they were confiscated.
    The servers were not removed. They remain to this day, where they always where. The FBI simply visited after they were closed down and downloaded all the personnel/admin files onto a pendrive.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by edong View Post
    I just hope downloading from YouTube is exempt.
    Any tool which uses cached video extraction is invisible, indistinguishable from simply viewing the clip.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Close all rental stores, Bad idea because Movie Industry gets a percentage of Movies being rented, The way the economy is going alot of people can't aford to buy Blu-Rays so they could end up with less money yet and if people really wanted to see a movie it would still be cheaper to go to the movie theater then buy it, Besides if you knew someone who was buying the movie you could borrow it which would still cost the movie industry, Best way would be to reduce the cost of the Blu-ray movie which anybody knows only takes a dollar or two to make.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    if people really wanted to see a movie it would still be cheaper to go to the movie theater then buy it,
    Maybe you live in some small town where this is true or you are considering groups of one in your analysis, but it can be cheaper to buy the disc sometimes than to pay just two regular admissions these days. One of my friends regularly buys DVDs because he says that it's cheaper to buy the DVD than to take him, his wife and son to the movies.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Close all rental stores, Bad idea because Movie Industry gets a percentage of Movies being rented,
    yeah, because a small percentage of 100's of $2.50 rentals is much better than a full $20.00 for 100's bluray sales!!!

LOL!!!

it would still be cheaper to go to the movie theater then buy it
    LMAO!!!
    Not a clue.....

You are totally clueless about sarcasm and irony huh.....

LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    The servers were not removed. They remain to this day, where they always where. The FBI simply visited after they were closed down and downloaded all the personnel/admin files onto a pendrive.
    That must have been a HELL OF A PENDRIVE!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    That's just basic Bio-Dread technology.

Come on, haven't you ever seen "Captain Power"?
    Quote Quote  
  23. LOL. Perhaps it would have been more prudent to say the authorities have taken some selective backups as evidence.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    That's just basic Bio-Dread technology.

Come on, haven't you ever seen "Captain Power"?
    LOL!!!!

Wasn't that the TV show where you had the "action figure" that would react to the light flashes on the screen and do different things ?
    Something along that line.....
    That was way back in the day and pretty obscure and my memory on that is pretty vague!!!
    DOHH!!!
    LMAO!!!

Yeah!!!!
    Action figures & interactive game

All of the figures, vehicles, and playsets in the Captain Power toyline that were released for the show's heroes (the "Soldiers of the Future").

Captain Power was also an attempt to cash in on the interactive television game market by Mattel. Some ships and playsets, when firing at the screen, would interact during various segments of the Saturday morning TV program. Video releases were available as well. In 1988, a second and slightly more scarce series was released. The Dread Trooper and Dread Commander are still unconfirmed if they were ever released. Pictures of these figures were shown in the Mattel dealer catalog.
    Your Childhood Sucked: Captain Power
    http://www.g4tv.com/videos/20520/your-childhood-sucked-captain-power/
    LOL!!!

I now remember the "ships" but i swear they had some 12" action figures that reacted to the TV show also....

Talk about a BLAST FROM THE PAST!!!!!!
    LOL!!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 21st Mar 2012 at 21:45.
    Quote Quote