VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am running Win 7, i have an AVI file but no sound from the movie. I have used Media info and i saee it has AC3 audio.
    I have downloaded VLC and an AC3 codec but stillhave no sound.
    In the past pre win7 i have had no trouble, what am i doing wrong, what do i need.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Post the output from MediaInfo here.
    2) Try a different PC and see if it plays. We first need to figure out if the file can actually be played at all. I'm not saying that this is it for sure, but Hollywood has been known to put deliberately corrupted files out on Bit Torrent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be aware, also, that VLC uses its own internal codecs, and won't depend on anything else installed in the system - so it won't use that AC3 codec you also downloaded, if you installed it.

Are you sure your speaker system is configured correctly, in VLC?

But, yes, do post a text-mode cut-and-paste of the information MediaInfo provided.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi jman98
    Mediinfo from screen dump.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mediainfo.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	11680  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity do you have speaker output to digital or regular speaker? If its setup to spdif (fiber optic) I don't think you'll have anything come out. I'm not an expert on the settings for vlc. I"d hunt in control panel to make sure your speakers are set as your main output. Also check vlc to make sure speakers and not digital nor spdif/coax is selected. It should be wav out or something like that to play over the speakers.

Also try media player classic home cinema. That also uses internal codecs (if I'm not mistaken that is). That should also play it.

It is also quite possibly a corrupted file. Or a dummy file as previously mentioned.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. No i dont have digital audio just plain ol sterio with a big ol Sony sub woofer lol. I got three files from the same source each with AC3 audio. My other AVI Divx files have Mpg audio.

I will try media player classic home cinema and see what happen. I think i will uninstall the AC3 codecs i have in case these are tripping over each other.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi yoda313

Good called installed and i have sounds, says i need to install up to date runtime files but it works........cheers
    Quote Quote