VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I am trying to extract the video that is being streamed at:

http://www.tamilvu.org/stream/lrntml/lrntml01.htm

I've tried using some of the softwares mentioned here like VLC Player, OrbitDownloader, Firefox DownloadHelper Addon, etc.
    However I can't seem to get these softwares to work.

When looking at the page source, I can see the mms link as follows:

mms://stream1.tamilvu.in/lrntmlvow

Again, trying this link in the above softwares doesn't seem to work and I wonder if it's because I cannot drill down further to the actual video link? (e.g. "mms://www.website.com/page/video.wmv")

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. PotPlayer is able to play the mms stream. I was able to use GraphStudio to download and save the video to a file:

Click image for larger version

Name:	graph.png
Views:	830
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	16394

Just add the "WM ASF Reader" and "WM ASF Writer" filters, connect the pins, and press the Play button. I think it's being reencoded though.

I was able to use the Avi Muxer and File Writer filters to write the compressed output of the WM ASF Reader to an AVI file. That way there was no reencoding.

I suspect you could use the Dump filter to write the audio and video streams as separate elementary stream files and use some other tool to mux them.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Feb 2013 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    WMP 11 works over here.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I suspect you could use the Dump filter to write the audio and video streams as separate elementary stream files and use some other tool to mux them.
    "Containerless" Windows Media streams are a big P.I.T.A., I highly DO NOT recommend them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is there any simpler way of doing this?
    Admittedly I'm a little confused of GraphStudio - how do you add filters? How would you add the stream, etc?

Or perhaps does potplayer allow to download the stream?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's not a high quality video anyway so why not use a screen recorder? hypercam is one and it's free.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. hidownload (not free) will allow direct download of (non silverlight) wmv streams , such as this one
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by childofsai View Post
    Is there any simpler way of doing this?
    If I knew a simpler way I'd have given it.

Originally Posted by childofsai View Post
    Admittedly I'm a little confused of GraphStudio - how do you add filters?
    Graph -> Insert Filter. In the pulldown at the top left of the Filter dialog select DirectShow Filters. In the list below that double click on WM ASF Reader. When it asks for a filename or URL tick and enter the URL (mms://...). Press OK. Back at the Filters dialog double click on WM ASF Writer. Enter the filename you want to save to. Press OK. Close the Filter dialog. Back at the main Window connect (drag and drop) the raw audio output pin (the small box on the right side of the filter) of the source filter to the input pin (small box on the left side) of the output filter. Any filters required to connect the pins will be added automatically. Do the same for the video pins. Press Play. Wait until it's done.

Originally Posted by childofsai View Post
    Or perhaps does potplayer allow to download the stream?
    I know it has some screen capture capability. But I don't now if it can save streams directly. I've only used it as a player.
    Quote Quote