VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I need someones assistance to over-clocking my PC. I'm not a complete novice, I have OC a system, but by only a few hundred Mhz, this time around I want to push it, the system is equipped for OC. Since I'm going extreme, I don't want to fry anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    go to overclock.net to get tips on overclocking your pc.

http://www.overclock.net/f/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would need to supply a whole lot more information before we could make any suggestions. Even with that, I would try a overclocking site like http://www.overclock.net/ , or just do a internet search for 'overclocking'. Every set up is different.

I use a unlocked multiplier CPU in the PC in my computer details, so easy enough to OC. I only OC'd about 400Mhz from 3.3 > 3.7Ghz. I was looking for a moderate speed gain and good stability and cool operation. I didn't adjust RAM, Northbridge or CPU voltages. With my water cooling setup, I could run the CPU at 4Ghz easy enough, but that would shorten it's life a bit. And I don't need that level of performance.

How much you can OC depends on your motherboard, CPU, RAM, and cooling system. Some setups are easy to OC, some are very difficult. You also run the risk of burning up your CPU, RAM and motherboard if you make a mistake, so I would advise a lot of research first.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you, I tried the site before, I'll try it again
    Quote Quote  
  5. What sort of answers are you expecting?

Considering the wealth of info about your system you have made available, best advice would be FIRST, get LOTS of cooling, second, OC by small increments until it fails, then back off one step.

Specific answers would depend on specific details about chip and mobo, as mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    What sort of answers are you expecting?

Considering the wealth of info about your system you have made available, best advice would be FIRST, get LOTS of cooling, second, OC by small increments until it fails, then back off one step.

Specific answers would depend on specific details about chip and mobo, as mentioned.
    What questions do you want me to answer, and I will answer them in hopes I can get some solid information to proceed with over clocking based on the information I get from this thread, on this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You have been told what the necessary information would be, TWICE.

You should ALREADY KNOW what is important to specify for OC purposes, or you should not be messing with it. Period.

That you think you could have gotten any useful instructions without specifying board, chip, and RAM, is just absolutely incredible. Your initial question is similar to asking "I am lost, how do I get home?" without either your present location or your desired destination given.

However, you did at least show up and respond, so I will offer you some info. OC capabilities depend heavily on the specific CPU chip in question. The ability to access these capabilities depends heavily on the particular mobo being used. The reliability of the OC will depend heavily on the cooling equipment installed. The particular RAM installed will have a major effect on what can, and can not, be achieved. The number of these components available leads to Hundreds, if not Thousands, of possible combinations. Other users' experiences should have been checked BEFORE, repeat BEFORE, purchasing any hardware. Failing to do so will almost certainly result in a less-than-ideal outcome.

If you wish to go "extreme" with OC, then you MUST be prepared to "fry something". MOST ESPECIALLY if you have purchased hardware without PREVIOUSLY very carefully, and in much detail, researching what that hardware is capable of. That would mean finding not one, not two, but at least three user accounts of their results using that SAME COMBINATION of hardware. If at least three do not agree, keep researching. If you only find one using the same hardware, then research different hardware.

You have apparently already been to the absolute number one source of this type of information. My guess would be that either you did not understand what you read there, or it gave you information about your specific hardware that you did not want to hear. If you have specific questions about what you read there, ask them. If you did not like what you read about what you have already purchased, then you have bought the wrong hardware and hopefully learned a valuable lesson for the future.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's a computer with a 3930K, 2300 Mhz Ram, H100 Cooler on a Asus Extreme IV motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Excellent. Now go to Overclock.net and research that combination. Start with the chip and board. When you fail to understand what you have read, come back and ask specific questions.

I will repeat - you should have done this research before buying the hardware. You should have specified the hardware when asking your question here.
    Quote Quote