VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I have found alot of nice tutorial about create your own MKV file that have 720p from a Blu-Ray.
    But I'm not so sure about the sound. I like to have my 5.1 sound when I create a movie.

For exampel I have a Blu-Ray Disc that have DTS 5.1 HD MA and the movie is in 1080p

I now like to create a MKV with 720 and very good quality of 5.1 sound.

I have look at Handbrake, I have use that alot when I create movie that I have recording on my TV and always use Stereo but
    now when I like to create 5.1 I'm not so sure anymore.

So if I like to use Handbrake, what do I have to use to make a movie as good as possible, both video and sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To start out use a crf (constant rate factor) of 20. For audio use 640kpbs ac3 (I'm nearly certain handbrake has that option, if not you can extract and convert separately with eac3to).

The crf number works opposite the way you think, the higher the number the lower the bitrate will be.

What I would suggest doing is taking a trailer off one of discs and fool around with a bunch of different values for video and sound. Than you can try to find a "sweet spot". The best thing about using a trailer will be its short which will mean quick encoding times for your testing purposes. Also trailers should have a wide range of visual detail in it to give your test meaning, ie its not a real static scene nor will it be totally action oriented, at least the title shot and release dates on the clip should be relatively subdued.

Also you could extract a chapter or two from the disc and use those for testing. Maybe a low action scene and a high action scene and make some tests with that. Then you could maybe average the two together for what you want to go with.

At the moment I can't recommend a tool for extracting just a chapter or the trailers from a ripped bluray. I haven't done it in a long time. I don't know the bluray equivalent of dvd shrink where you can pick and choose what you want out of the disc structure. Bd rebuilder might be a place to start looking to grab just what you want out of the ripped disc.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    BD-RB can't be used that way. It can only be used to backup everything, only do the movie, or to skip certain subtitle and audio options based on language, but you can't pick and choose extras with it. DVDFab has a version that can rip BluRays. It might be able to offer that kind of granularity.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about with Handbrake, but with eac3to it is also possible to extract and use the DTS 5.1 core out of DTS HD, but you need a playback device that understands DTS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    BD-RB can't be used that way. It can only be used to backup everything, only do the movie, or to skip certain subtitle and audio options based on language
    Thanks. DIdn't know that. Also don't know about dvdfab.

Originally Posted by jman98
    it is also possible to extract and use the DTS 5.1 core out of DTS HD, but you need a playback device that understands DTS.
    True but using dts will add to the file size considerably (even sd dts which is the core will be an extra weight that really isn't necessary especially if space is an issue for a large batch conversion project). That was why I suggested ac3 at 640kpbs.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    To start out use a crf (constant rate factor) of 20. For audio use 640kpbs ac3 (I'm nearly certain handbrake has that option, if not you can extract and convert separately with eac3to).
    That's what I do, same settings but with no resize, using Ripbot. For viewing on a 65" 1080p LED.

You'll just have to do some test encodes to see what crf value you consider to be sufficient. As to the audio, AC3 5.1 at maximum bitrate (640 kbps) is perfectly adequate, will save space, and be most compatible with the widest range of devices.

Actually, BDRB has a hidden option that allows selective blanking. Just add "ENABLE_TEST=1" to the config file. I hardly ever use it since I typically do movie-only anyway. But there you are.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ohh thanks alot

Yes I have hear about crf and something about 18-20.

So if I try that and 5.1 AC3 with 640kpbs it going to be a very good quality?

I going to try that later today to see if everything is going to be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, the quality will be whatever you specify. Quality based encoding using crf in the 18-20 range should satisfy most people. It has the advantage of consistency, since source material varies a great deal as to compressibility. The output size will be unpredictable.

Personally, I'd suggest trying BDRB for this, using alternate output mode. It's *much* faster than, say, Ripbot at default preset speed (haven't used handbreak enough to comment). If your computer details are correct, your encodes will take a long time. BDRB output will be a little larger as the trade-off for quicker encoding.

So why do you want 720p and what will you be viewing the files with?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ohh my computer details is off-date, I have now a intel Core i7 and alot more power

I have buy alot of Blu-Ray Disc (Old classic movies) and I like to have them on my HTPC.

I was thinking about 1080p first but it going to be a BIG file from one movie so I was thinking maybe use 720p instead.
    But I have buy a big surround system so I like to have a nice sound to my movie.
    I going to watch that on my 50" Plasma TV
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try some encodes in 1080p too. If your TV is 1080p, why wouldn't you use that? Hard drive space? Get more. I don't think you'd be satisfied for long with 720p. You have a 50" plasma after all, and at normal viewing distance, I can see the difference even on my 47" LCD.

I have two powered enclosures with 2 TB drives in them, and over 100 movies on each, about 2/3 full. I'm toying with the idea of getting another and re-doing everything to crf 18 or 19. But I dread the chore of doing all those BDs over again. That said, crf 20 is pretty good though. I have to look hard for the occasional posterization in dark areas. I play the MKVs direct to the 65" LG LED TV over USB.

I use Ripbot rather than BDRB because I have a powerful processor, and can use slow presets. Which yields a smaller file at the same quality. With your rig, you should do the same. Again, dunno about Handbrake, but surely it offers some slow presets at crf 20 with AC3 5.1 640 kbps.

You may be surprised at the wide variation in output size at crf 20. Very clean animation, like WALL-E for example will come in at less than 5 GB. OTOH, a movie with a lot of grain like Defiance will end up at over 15 GB. Most other movies will fall somewhere in between.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ahh ok well I can try use Ripbot too. I have use it before.
    Just curious about what settings you have when you are using Ripbot?
    Quote Quote  
  12. MKV output, Tune Film, Default (Medium) Preset, AC3 640 kbps. It usually takes 2-3 hours to do a movie, all six cores working hard. (BDRB takes about 45 minutes, but output size is larger, sometimes a few GB larger). Slow or Slower presets will yield a smaller output file. Forget Slowest or Placebo, that's a case of diminishing returns.

Default tune is much the same as Tune Film. The Animation tune doesn't offer much advantage, IMO, even for a movie like WALL-E, and you certainly wouldn't want to use it for anything *but* animation. For a very grainy movie, there a tuning for it, but it throws more bitrate at the encode. I don't bother with it. Others will have their own preferences.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 21st Sep 2012 at 11:02.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm ok I have select the sound

But the Encoder settings I'm not sure

AVC Profile?
    I have select "High"

AVC Level?
    I have select "4.0"

x264 Preset
    I have select "VerySlow"

x265 Tune
    I have select "Film"

The old movie have a black line over and below the movie, is maybe good idea to use crop?
    Last edited by Cazz; 21st Sep 2012 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ripbot is usually accurate for calculating the correct amount to crop, but not always. You should double-check it and use the preview function. Aside from that, there's the occasional movie like Tron Legacy which will catch you out, since it has a couple aspect ratio changes. I don't bother with cropping, since black bars don't affect final size very much. Your choice. Your other settings look good to me. Give it a try.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 21st Sep 2012 at 12:39.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote