VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I do not want to do this but just get a better understanding of the method(s) involved.

I read a long time ago that when a server streams live video it just 'pushes' a stream which is then 'pulled' by anyone who accesses the stream. In other words, a, for example, 1500 kbps stream is just 1500 kbps from the server and not 1500 * X when X uses access the stream.

The reason I ask is that a new streaming service that I have accessed is already complaining that too many users are accessing the stream at the same time and they have had to lower the bit rate to compensate.

Can anyone throw some light on this.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. P2P broadcasting would be the best method if it's not for commercial.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What you are describing is broadcast packets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address

You can do this on a LAN: the server sounds out one stream, every computer on the subnet receives the stream, those not watching the video simply ignore the packets. But you cannot do this on the open internet. On the internet you establish point-to-point connections. A streaming service may use a CDN (content distribution network) to reduce loads on their network but that costs money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network

So, no, the service you are talking about isn't lying to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ thanks

So basically every user gets a conection and the server must send the appropriate data X times.

I fear if this provider does not have the necessary infasructure the severs could crash quite quickly under the load.
    Quote Quote  
  5. They need to limit the number of connections.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One way I have seen some such providers get over this is to limit the connection time to say 10 minutes. A user would then have to re-connect to continue viewing.

At present, there is un-limited stream access.
    Quote Quote