VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was recently given an old P2 computer my by sister, but her kids have had it for a couple years and I think they have changed some settings that have really affected the performance of this computer.

Each time I start the machine up it gives me the option to load drivers for the graphics card because the drivers it is currently using are not correct. How do I identify what graphics card this computer has installed without opening the box and looking inside, because I would'nt know what I was looking for anyway? I thought if I could identify the graphics card I could down load drivers from the internet.

Can anyone help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usualy the first screen that pops up after u hit the power button on the puter will show. otherwise take a look in device manager
    PhenII 955@3.74 - GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance@1600 - Radeon 5770 - Corsair 550VX - OCZ Agility 3 90GB WD BLACK 1TB - LiteOn 24x - Win 8 Preview - Logi G110+G500
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the drivers have been changed will the device still be listed with its original name?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the wrong drivers are loaded, the OS will just probably just report the wrong name of the card.

To identify the graphics card, you will probably have to open the case and pull out the card and see what is printed on it. Make sure the computer is turned off and unplugged and open the case. Remove the screw holding the card and pull it out of the slot. Look at both sides and write down any numbers, etc., you see. Look for a FCC ID number. You can look it up from there. Also write down info from the chips.

I can tell you, it can get complicated. Depending on the OS, (Operating System such as W98 or XP or others) you can usually just delete the present drivers and let the OS try to find the correct ones.

A lot depends on the quality of the computer. If it has sufficient memory (48MB or higher), fast CPU (200MHZ or better) it might be worth the effort, depending on what you plan to use it for.

Go to the device manager and let us know what card it reports, along with any info about the computer. (OS, CPU, memory, name of computer, etc.

You can try deleting the video drivers if all else fails. Usually works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Personally I would do a complete reinsall of everthing from scratch especially if it's running on the same os installation for many years. If you just got it this would be the best time since there's nothing on there that would matter to you.

As redwudz suggested open the case and see what kind of graphics card it is, do the same thing for any other PCI cards that may be installed particularly the soundcard. Windows will load generic drivers for most hardware but Graphics and Sound cards require the manufacturers driver to function to there best ability.

Go to www.zonelabs.com and download the free version of zonealarm and save to disc or some other media (this is important), you can do the same for your hardware drivers (not important at the moment). Pop in the windows installation disc and reinstall windows with a full format of the HD. First thing to do once the widows installation is complete is install your Virus software and Zonealarm before connecting to the internet, install your hardware drivers at this point too if you saved them to disc. Once that's done update windows then if you don't have a virus program get AVG it's free http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php and install that. Next get your hardware drivers and install them if you haven't already done so. Finally go to control panel>system>device manger and look for hardware that has ? marks next to it. Any hardware that windows doesn't recognize will have a ? mark.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All good suggestions. You might also try AIDA32. It's pretty good at actually "reading" the card bios for the manufacturers information. You can find it here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Each time I start the machine up it gives me the option to load drivers for the graphics card because the drivers it is currently using are not correct. How do I identify what graphics card this computer has installed without opening the box and looking inside, because I would'nt know what I was looking for anyway? I thought if I could identify the graphics card I could down load drivers from the internet."

Sounds like somehow the drivers were inadvertently uninstalled or never installed, and the system is identifying a plug in play device but can't resolve it's name. I would have to agree with the above, I would definately remove the panel, and remove the video card. If it is an on board video card, this maybe a bit more difficult. You may want to look at the computer manufacturer's website for info pertaining to the components used. I know S3 was used a good bit for onboard video.
    Quote Quote