VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

It was OK in the begining until AVG report malware on Imageburn about a year ago. I romove it from my Windows 7 system.
    I try to download Imageburn again and AVG still complain Imageburn is infected with malware.

Any alternative to Imageburn ?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Try version 2.5.7
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's probably considering the installer's option to install 3rd-party bloatware (which is totally bypassable) as a positive. However, Imgburn (not Imageburn!), has not had ANY malware in any legit copies of it's core app. If AVG is still complaining after a bypassed-custom install, it is AVG's mistake.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, AVG is detecting OpenCandy:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364675-How-to-stop-the-spyware-known-as-OpenCandy

You can simply choose not to install any of the "malware" when you install imgburn. Be careful, be sure to choose selective install at each step of the process. Even better block all access OpenCandy's web site in your hosts file. That will prevent OpenCandy from contacting their servers to download the other packages. You'll never have to worry about them again (unless they add more servers).

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356775-What-s-Happened-To-Imgburn?p=2248350&viewful...=1#post2248350

Even better than that: block many malware sites and lots of online ads with the hosts file from Winhelp2002 (all the above urls are included):

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

I scan this version with AVG and no malware found.
    SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    I scan this version with AVG and no malware found. SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe
    You are not listening. AVG and others sometimes detect malware, sometimes not. Use 2.5.8.0. to install. But do not blindly click away. Take a cue from jagabo & cornucopia above and don't check the part where it asks to install shit (custom vs express install). Better yet, open setupimgburn_xxx.exe under, say, 7zip, and extract the core setup file and use that instead.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using 2.5.7.0 since it came out with no problems and no malware detections.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by turk690 View Post
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    I scan this version with AVG and no malware found. SetupImgBurn_2.5.7.0.exe
    You are not listening. AVG and others sometimes detect malware, sometimes not. Use 2.5.8.0. to install. But do not blindly click away. Take a cue from jagabo & cornucopia above and don't check the part where it asks to install shit (custom vs express install). Better yet, open setupimgburn_xxx.exe under, say, 7zip, and extract the core setup file and use that instead.
    I did the latter -- can't recall whether I used 7Zip or PeaZip -- and it worked out just fine. With some other apps, you might also need to extract certain DLLs, but in the case of ImgBurn, you only need the two updated .EXE files: the main one, and the Preview one. I just substituted them into an already-installed, previous version IB folder. (Should they go ahead and make these OpenCandy packages more devious, a procedure this simple might no longer be sufficient.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Malwarebytes will detect the OC component in the setup file and warn you (curiously enough my resident
    A/V avast! Free, even though it is set to detect PUPs, does not warn about this).

The other thing is, if you run the setup executable from the CMD line with the /nocandy switch, it supposedly bypasses OC. I'm sure this has been mentioned around here recently.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 2.5.7.0 version works OK for me. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I install ImgBurn&Co normally through Ninite(.com), no malware unwanted toolbars or similar this way.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!