VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've done a search of the forum and i 'think' I came up with the answer but would like confirmation please.
    I encoded a film to SVCD from .AVI using TMPGEnc'.
    The source framerate was 23fps and I encoded to NTSC Film.
    I've got excellent results apart from this problem. Every now and then the picture 'scrolls' vertically for a second or two (just as if the T.V. wasn,t tuned in properly). It plays fine on my P.C. and I've burned it twice with the same result
    Now then, I think the problem is I live in the UK, PAL land, and maybe my T.V. is objecting to the NTSC thing.
    What do you, my learned friends, think?. This is the post I found. Thanks.
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78178
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think you are probably rigth. Take a look at your DVD players setup options, some can be changed to output PAL-60 in the case of NTSC playback. Your TV may handle this better than true NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why did you encode it as NTSC if you live in PalLand?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good point Miketree, I posted a question earlier regarding framerates and I was told that If I encode a 23 fps film to NTSC I would lose the jerkiness, so I did, and it did.
    Thx also bugster, I'm checking it out.

This frame rate issue, 23/23.976/25/29.97........is something I'm struggling with. I need to try and understand how to convert from one to another, when I need to do it, and If I need to do it...

I'll get there with experience I reckon....Thx for help
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ABAB
    This frame rate issue, 23/23.976/25/29.97........is something I'm struggling with. I need to try and understand how to convert from one to another, when I need to do it, and If I need to do it...
    If your DVD Player/TV support NTSC (and most European ones do) then there is no pint converting from NTSC framerates to PAL. This kind of conversion is possible (well, 23.97 or 24 to 25, 29.97 is a different matter) but the process is long winded and full of holes waiting for you to fall into. Because of this, I always recomend, if you don't HAVE to do it, then simply don't bother, its not worth the effort.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where on earth did you get 23 fps? That framerate doesn't exist in nature.

Playing 23.97 NTSC Film on a Pal machine will cause some hiccups. Depends on the machine, and how it deals with other formats. Mine plays PAL onto NTSC with no problems.

Relaisticaly, there are many guides to convert Film (24fps) to Pal(25 fps) or NTSC (30 fps) (approximate fps's). You didn't say what you encoded to, how you did it, or what you are playing on.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I encode to Mpeg2, would just choosing the closest framerate do it? (assuming my source was not PAL, NTSC or NTSC film to start with).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    Where on earth did you get 23 fps? That framerate doesn't exist in nature.

Playing 23.97 NTSC Film on a Pal machine will cause some hiccups. Depends on the machine, and how it deals with other formats. Mine plays PAL onto NTSC with no problems.

Relaisticaly, there are many guides to convert Film (24fps) to Pal(25 fps) or NTSC (30 fps) (approximate fps's). You didn't say what you encoded to, how you did it, or what you are playing on.
    23 fps? Well, if you take an avi encoded at 23.97 fps and look at the file properties under winXP (right click file, properties, summary tab) it will show a framerate or 23fps)

SVCD at 23.97fps should have 3:2 pulldown applied.

Convert from NTSC to PAL. Why bother if it isn't needed.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did say what I encoded it on and how, I try to give as much info as poss'.
    Bugster, "You said SVCD at 23.97 fps should have 3:2 pulldown applied."
    What do you mean?.......when I encode from .avi?,
    Here's what I do to encode.
    Source.....23 fps .avi file
    I would load the .WAV and video into TMPG enc' and choose NTSC film and SVCD.
    select whatever filters I might need and then set it going.
    I don't select 3:2pulldown under the advanced tab, should I.

I know I'm struggling to understand this but I know it will click soon.

Thx
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ABAB
    Bugster, "You said SVCD at 23.97 fps should have 3:2 pulldown applied."
    What do you mean?.......when I encode from .avi?,
    Here's what I do to encode.
    Source.....23 fps .avi file
    I would load the .WAV and video into TMPG enc' and choose NTSC film and SVCD.
    select whatever filters I might need and then set it going.
    Thx
    If you are using the supplied SVCD NTSC film template then you should be ok. I just checked it and it does set everything up correctly for 3:2 pulldown (as you would expect I suppose).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I start with the supplied template then tinker with a few settings that I know give me decent quality and that's it.
    At no point is 3:2 pulldown ticked.
    I think I'll have another night of experimenting. Dig out the Re-writables again I reckon.......
    Thanks for staying with me and I'll post back later with findings.

Thx
    Quote Quote