VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I'm just entering into the DVD recorder market, and I bought an inexpensive Lite-On DD-A100GX model. My problem is with chapter markings.

1. The first time, the unit was set to automatically insert chapter marks every 5 minutes. After finalizing the disc, I inserted the DVD into a couple of other players, and it recognized the chapters just fine.

2. Then on another recording, I turned off the auto chapter function and manually inserted chapter markings while it was recording, folllowing the instructions. After finalizing the disc, I played the DVD in the same Lite-On unit and the chapters worked fine. But when I played it on the other DVD players, it did not recognize the chapters at all.

(for both recordings, I used a DVD-R)

I don't understand why other players recognize the auto chapter markings, but not the manual markings.

I really need to be able to manually insert chapter marks, but still be able to use those chapter marks on other players, not just the Lite-On.

Is there a way to do this?
    If not, is there another recorder that I should consider? I still have time to return this recorder if it's just too cheap of a model.

Thanks!
    Lisa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The chapter marks are the only problem you have sharing your Lite-On disks???????

The rinky-dink menu structure with truncated fields doesn't embarrass you.

I reauthor on my PC, the DVDs I record on my Lite-On if they are going to be used by anyone but me. Improving the menus and creating the chapters I want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I'm not sharing them with anyone. (and yes, it would be an embarrassment to share them "as is"). I do some video editing of home movies, but I hook up the video camera straight to the computer via Firewire, do all of my editing on the computer, and then finalize and burn DVD's from the computer. I don't really need this Lite-On unit for that function.

I'm trying to clear off space on my Tivo, so I'm recording onto the DVD's the things we want to keep or don't have time to watch right now. Therefore, these recordings are for "in-house" use and I'm not too concerned about the aesthetics. I'm mainly trying to find a fast way to get rid of stuff from my Tivo and let the kids/husband/family watch it later, which may be on a different player.

Is that the only solution...to reauthor them? Like I said, I'm looking for a fast method, and don't need anything fancy for a bunch of TV shows.
    Do I need another model?

Thanks,
    Lisa
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Lisa - I'm sorry but I can't help you with your problem. I can tell you that you better get used to weird things like this happening with discs you make with DVD recorders. I bought my dad and step-mother a DVD recorder to replace their old VCR. It was the same model as yours and my dad had no problems using it once I hooked it up. However, the DVDs it produced would not fast forward at all on his old Pioneer DVD player. It became a big issue for my step-mother because she is one of those people who have an irrational hatred for commercials and she just completely loses it if she has to watch a commercial. I am not exaggerating. Anyway, my dad bought a different brand of DVD recorder and replaced the old Pioneer player with it and the LiteOn made DVDs would now "magically" fast forward with no problems. One of my friends told me that he's seen similar problems with older DVD players, so he only plays back discs on DVD recorders. Sorry, but I can't say I'm surprised that your LiteOn DVDs have chapter access problems when you set the chapters manually. I don't know why that problem exists though, but probably manual chapter points don't get set the same way as when it's programmed to do it every so many minutes and whatever way they are being set manually probably isn't quite by the book, so other players don't understand it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. learnin to burn

I do not have the Liteon A100GX But Do have six Liteon/ilo recorders.
    both with and without HDD

I'm not going to enter in a recorder opinion review But my units With HDD are somwhat more easy to edit than those without The Liteon is a very good machine. and in the Real world the result is as good as any.

I do not Use the chapter markes as you indicate and i have not had any problems
    I would suggest that you consider a Reusable +RW disk

LiteOn made the Ilo-04 series and makes many drives and units for a large number of venders.
    including Sony
    I would suggest that you post your concerns at these sites [Rember Ilo is Liteon]

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=f6a7253cede5865aa7111e454ace6800

http://www.normediasolutions.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Edit
    I have not had the issues you mention with my 2 Lieton 5005 an ilo-R04But as said I have not used them for this but do the 2 RHD-04and 5045 with HDD
    When I did, had no proplem inserting chap marks and playing them on other machines It could be a operation missunderstanding but as said I do not have that unit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="Learnin to Burn"]Hi,
    I'm just entering into the DVD recorder market, and I bought an inexpensive Lite-On DD-A100GX model. My problem is with chapter markings.

1. The first time, the unit was set to automatically insert chapter marks every 5 minutes. After finalizing the disc, I inserted the DVD into a couple of other players, and it recognized the chapters just fine.

HOW DO YOU FINALIZE WITH THIS PLAYER? I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT, AND OF COURSE IT's NOT IN THE BOOK! PLEASE HELP THANKS!
    Quote Quote