VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by giggsidan View Post
    What made you change your mind? I was all ready to go for what you wrote before you edited it! :P
    Component video is limited to 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i, 480p, and 480i. You can't use 1080i over HDMI with a monitor because it is interlaced. Monitors only understand progressive video, which means the best setting you can use for the XBox 360 is 720p60. The HD-PVR can do a great job recording 720p60 component video from the XBox 360, but I am not sure what you monitor can do with 720p60 over HDMI. Your monitor prefers video at its native resolution. If you do not have a 1280x720 monitor, 720p60 video won't look crisp.

You have to use specific VGA resolutions with those VGA to component boxes to get 720p or 1080i component video output to feed the HD-PVR. They probably do not match your monitor's native resolution either, but might look a little better. Plus, I guess you like the capture results you saw on YouTube, otherwise you would have rejected that solution.

Try to find the Sabrent VGA to component converter in the tutorial if you can. I don't think VGA to component converters are all the same. If the Sabrent model is no longer available, you will have to look for one with similar specs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Apr 2012 at 22:48. Reason: readability
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    What made you change your mind? I was all ready to go for what you wrote before you edited it! :P
    Component video is limited to 1080i, 720p, 480p, 576p, 480p, and 480i. You can't use 1080i over HDMI with a monitor because it is interlaced. Monitors only understand progressive video, which means the best setting you can use for the XBox 360 is 720p. The HD-PVR can do a great job recording 720p component video from the XBox 360, but I am not sure what you monitor can do with 720p over HDMI. Your monitor prefers video at its native resolution. If you do not have a 1280x720 monitor, 720p video won't look crisp.
    In CONSOLES its limited only for VIDEOS (aka BLURAY/HD DVD movies), for GAMES its get 1080p@component. Some TVs limited to 1080i component input to games too, but the console is able to output 1080p. Maybe PC monitor get 1080p too.

Look here for more:
    http://hd.engadget.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. If it changes anything at all, the specs of my monitor are... 2ms, 80000:1, 16:9

I presume you understand what each of those means. :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Component video is limited to 1080i, 720p, 480p, 576p, 480p, and 480i. You can't use 1080i over HDMI with a monitor because it is interlaced. Monitors only understand progressive video, which means the best setting you can use for the XBox 360 is 720p. The HD-PVR can do a great job recording 720p component video from the XBox 360, but I am not sure what you monitor can do with 720p over HDMI. Your monitor prefers video at its native resolution. If you do not have a 1280x720 monitor, 720p video won't look crisp.
    In CONSOLES its limited only for VIDEOS (aka BLURAY/HD DVD movies), for GAMES its get 1080p@component. Some TVs limited to 1080i component input to games too, but the console is able to output 1080p. Maybe PC monitor get 1080p too.

Look here for more:
    http://hd.engadget.com/2006/09/21/xbox-360-hd-dvd-playback-maximum-1080i-via-component-1080p-vga/

Claudio
    Even if the monitor can display 1080p video , the Hauppauge HD-PVR cannot record 1080p video. You know that 1080i is the highest resolution it can record.

To review his set up, the OP will use a laptop to record, and a monitor plus headphones to play the game. He does not have a TV. His situation is much more difficult than average.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. If it changes anything at all, the specs of my monitor are... 2ms, 80000:1, 16:9

I presume you understand what each of those means. :P
    I know what they mean, but what is the resolution? 1920x1080? If you do not know, I could probably find out if given a model number for the monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's an ACER H223H E I believe. Only it's 2ms, the ones I googled for just now all seem to be 5ms. Maybe I have a slightly different version.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's an ACER H223H E I believe. Only it's 2ms, the ones I googled for just now all seem to be 5ms. Maybe I have a slightly different version.
    I couldn't find out anything about your monitor online. The closest thing I could find, the US version (with the model number H233H no "E"), is 1920x1080 resolution, but the other specs do not match yours.

[Edit]Sorry, but it is getting late. I have to quit for the evening.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem! I actually found the box and checked and yes, it is 1920x1080. Does this change anything or should I still go for the VGA, do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem! I actually found the box and checked and yes, it is 1920x1080. Does this change anything or should I still go for the VGA, do you think?
    The monitor resolution makes the VGA to component converter the better choice. You have to make compromises because you are using a LCD monitor, not a TV. Neither the picture on the monitor nor the captured video will be exactly the same quality as you could get if you had a TV that you could hook up to component video input.

1280x1024 is closer to 1920x1080 than 1280x720. 1280x1024 would look a bit less fuzzy on a 1920x1080 LCD monitor.

I think the captured video in the tutorial was recorded from 720p60 component input. On the HD-PVR side, the VGA to component converter box in the YouTube video would give you 720p60, but the converted video is going to be less sharp than if you could use component input directly from the XBox 360.

Looking at specs, it appears some other VGA to component converter boxes recommend a different VGA resolution to convert to 720p output than the tutorial recommended. The model I linked to as an example of a component to VGA converter probably accepts 1280x1024 at 60 Hz for 720p output as shown in the tutorial, but the maker recommends 1024x768 for 720p60 output.

The Sabrent VGA to component converter is discontinued, and I cannot find a manual or product page for it at the manufacturer's website to look at the specs. I guess you will have no choice but to buy something else and hope for the best.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Apr 2012 at 14:51.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what are the specifics that I'm looking for when I get this VGA to component converter, would you say?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what are the specifics that I'm looking for when I get this VGA to component converter, would you say?
    It has to have a VGA in, VGA out, stereo audio in, stereo audio out, plus component video out to be the right type of VGA to component converter for the set up in the tutorial. If possible, it should support VGA input 1280x1024 and 60Hz for 730p60 Hz output. Look at user reviews on Amazon UK if possible to see what people who bought it think about their purchase.

You should try to use your headphones with the HD-PVR's stereo audio pass-through if possible. This will provide a stronger audio signal to the HD-PVR. The stereo audio output from the XBox 360 will be spilt if you piggy back the stereo audio leads to the VGA to component converter box on the headphone's red and white jacks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't recommend either of those converters. They are not VGA to component converters. They are VGA to composite and S-Video converters. 720p output is not possible using them. If you get one, it looks like you could have 1024x768 for your monitor, but all you can do with the HD-PVR is record SD video.

It appears that Amazon UK doesn't have VGA to component converters for sale, and Maplins didn't have any. I do not know UK e-tailers and have no idea where else you can look for one of the converters you need close to home. 720p60 will work very well for what you want to do, but 720p60 is not the preferred 720p format in former PAL countries. Former NTSC countries use 720p60, so VGA to component converters are a little easier to find on this side of the Atlantic.

These two ebay sellers from Hong Kong are the only good match so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Laptop-VGA-TV-RGB-Component-YPbPr-Video-Converter-Apapter...888552&afsrc=1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Laptop-VGA-To-TV-RGB-Component-YPbPr-Video-Converter-Apap...ht_4186wt_1054
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok no problem. I just wanted to check first because those two are quite expensive so wanted to be sure I couldn't get something that would do the same, or similar, for a lot cheaper!

I've managed to find a Hauppauge HD-PVR Gaming Edition on a UK classified ads website, for £73 and it's still in warranty. On eBay the gaming editions go for easily £150+ and even the standard models go for £90+.

I shouldn't need anything else, right? The HD-PVR comes with the component cables and the VGA connection and I won't need an audio lead if I use the headphones, right?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok no problem. I just wanted to check first because those two are quite expensive so wanted to be sure I couldn't get something that would do the same, or similar, for a lot cheaper!

I've managed to find a Hauppauge HD-PVR Gaming Edition on a UK classified ads website, for £73 and it's still in warranty. On eBay the gaming editions go for easily £150+ and even the standard models go for £90+.

I shouldn't need anything else, right? The HD-PVR comes with the component cables and the VGA connection and I won't need an audio lead if I use the headphones, right?
    The Xbox 360 Component Video cable that is included with the HD-PVR Gaming Edition won't be used in the capture setup you have in mind for your monitor. The regular component A/V cable from the HD-PVR gaming edition can be used to connect the HD-PVR component input with the VGA to component converter. The VGA to component converter comes with a VGA cable that you need to connect your monitor to the converter box and extra regular component A/V cable that you won't use. You do not need stereo audio cable because you will use headphones. If you don't have one now, you do need to buy an XBox 360 VGA A/V cable to connect the VGA input and stereo audio input on the converter box to your console.

You will have to plug your headphones into the HD-PVR's stereo audio pass-through because the XBox 360 VGA cable plugs into the console A/V port.

It is too bad you need an expensive converter to accomodate your monitor while recording. An XBox 360 VGA A/V cable is not inexpensive either. We have gone over the alternatives, but I can't come up with anything better.

You can always wait to buy a converter box and use use Xbox 360 Component Video cable and the regular component A/V cable for recording component video directly when you have a TV available during the summer. At that point you can experiment with recording resolutions other than 720p. Maybe you can borrow a TV from a buddy to run tests at school so you can be sure the HD-PVR works.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Apr 2012 at 23:44.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the second best configuration I could come up with. Test your monitor with HDMI 720p video output from your console before comitting.

Some users like this for connecting a monitor with their console's component video output
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/KanaaN-Component-YPbPr-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00423GLWW/ref=sr_...4721865&sr=8-2

You have cables that should work. These are the connections to be made.

1. XBox 360 to HD-PVR component video and stereo audio inputs with XBox 360 component A/V cable
    2. HD-PVR component video passthrough to KanaaN Component Converter video input with regular component A/V cable
    3. HD-PVR stereo audio passthrough to headphones
    4. KanaaN Component Converter Video HDMI out to monitor with XBox HDMI cable

This looks like the same thing at a lower price
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Component-Video-YPbPr-To-HDMI-Converter-Box-/251016403905?pt...item3a71be5bc1
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Apr 2012 at 00:37.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How would that second configuration differ from the first?

Also, I don't know if it's possible, but since I'll be using my headset... Will it be possible at all to actually record my voice while I'm actually playing and recording? Or will this need something extra or something completely different? Just wondering.

Edit - I actually found this auction

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-Model-1228-YPbPr-HDMI-Converter-/1507981382...#ht_500wt_1413

He seems to be selling that exact converter you linked lastly in your previous post. In which case it may make sense for me to make a bid if it stays under the price that buying both separate would cost me. But yes, how would it differ?
    Last edited by giggsidan; 18th Apr 2012 at 11:05.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How would that second configuration differ from the first?
    The difference between the two configurations was alredy covered here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/345327-What-can-I-use-to-record-Xbox-footage-with-t...=1#post2155422

Also, I don't know if it's possible, but since I'll be using my headset... Will it be possible at all to actually record my voice while I'm actually playing and recording? Or will this need something extra or something completely different? Just wondering.
    You plug the microphone from your headset into an XBox 360 controller. None of the recording configuations affect that. If your voice can be heard through the headphones now, it can be recorded with the HD-PVR. If not, you cannot record your voice with the HD-PVR

The head phone audio connects to the HD-PVR stereo audio pass-through, but the microphone plugs into your XBox 360 controller. You might need an extension cable to supply audio to the headphones or an extension cable for the microphone because of distance or comfort. You won't know for certain until you start to set up your equipment.

Edit - I actually found this auction

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hauppauge-HD-PVR-Model-1228-YPbPr-HDMI-Converter-/1507981382...#ht_500wt_1413

He seems to be selling that exact converter you linked lastly in your previous post. In which case it may make sense for me to make a bid if it stays under the price that buying both separate would cost me. But yes, how would it differ?
    I was under the impression that you had already purchased the Hauppauge HD-PVR Gaming Edition on ebay, which includes a console component A/V cable. The regular Hauppauge HD-PVR 1228 in the other ebay auction doesn't include a console component A/V cable. You would need to buy one. The regular Hauppauge HD-PVR 1228 includes a software package that is geared towards home theater PC use. The Hauppauge HD-PVR Gaming Edition includes a software package which is geared more towards what gamers want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I just bought the gaming edition now. Cost me £84 which isn't bad I must say. I think I will get the first option you described, if you say it'll give me better quality. The difference in the second option compared to the first is only a measly £10 or so after all.

So I shall buy this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Laptop-VGA-TV-RGB-Component-YPbPr-Video-Converter-Apapter...#ht_6107wt_995

since it seems the same as the other one and it's £2 cheaper....

And this is the VGA cable I'll need to buy, right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Component-HD-AV-VGA-Monitor-Cable-Lead-XBOX-360-/35030239311...ht_1447wt_1397
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I just bought the gaming edition now. Cost me £84 which isn't bad I must say. I think I will get the first option you described, if you say it'll give me better quality. The difference in the second option compared to the first is only a measly £10 or so after all.

So I shall buy this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Laptop-VGA-TV-RGB-Component-YPbPr-Video-Converter-Apapter...#ht_6107wt_995

since it seems the same as the other one and it's £2 cheaper....

And this is the VGA cable I'll need to buy, right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Component-HD-AV-VGA-Monitor-Cable-Lead-XBOX-360-/35030239311...ht_1447wt_1397
    That is the only VGA to component converter we could find between us for Great Britain, and that seller had the better price. The quality demonstrated in the tutorial was acceptable to you.

The cable looks like the right item. I don't know if the official Microsoft cables are made any better. Maybe they just cost cost more. My nephews have an XBox 360, but they use HDMI with a TV, so I can't ask their opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience you usually just pay for the name on the cable. Well I've ordered everything. Came to about £130 which isn't too bad considering the HD-PVR gaming edition alone usually costs around that or even more.

The cable and PVR should be here in a couple of days. The wait for the converter will be annoying but nevermind! I just have to pray that everything will work now!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience you usually just pay for the name on the cable. Well I've ordered everything. Came to about £130 which isn't too bad considering the HD-PVR gaming edition alone usually costs around that or even more.

The cable and PVR should be here in a couple of days. The wait for the converter will be annoying but nevermind! I just have to pray that everything will work now!
    Yes, buying second hand is always a gamble, and so is buying on ebay. You never know if the item is in working order, and most sellers don't accept returns for any reason.

[Edit]One thing i just thought of... The VGA to component converter didn't appear to have any openings for ventilation. Until you know how hot it gets when being used, be cautious. Don't leave it plugged in when you are not using it and watch out for over-heating during long recording sessions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Apr 2012 at 18:56.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks for that. Are they the kind of thing which usually gets very hot while being used?

EDIT - That VGA cable I linked... Obviously one end of that will go into my Xbox, and this is usually the bit which my headset cable goes into as I linked earlier. How will my headset work without it?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks for that. Are they the kind of thing which usually gets very hot while being used?

EDIT - That VGA cable I linked... Obviously one end of that will go into my Xbox, and this is usually the bit which my headset cable goes into as I linked earlier. How will my headset work without it?
    Yes, things like that can get hot. It is hard to say if it would get very hot, but it is better to be careful. I took another look at the similar discontinued device from Sabrent. It has openings for ventilation.

Look at the connections on the HD-PVR at Hauppauge's UK website. The HD-PVR has a component video output and a stereo audio output (the "pass-through" connections from the HD-PVR's internal splitter). You would connect the headphone's audio input jacks to the HD-PVR's stereo audio output. The microphone jack would connect to the controller as usual. You won't use the adapter for your headset that normally goes on the console AV outputs. The VGA cable has to go there.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    If it works as advertised this will be a better option, when it's released (just says May): http://blitzcast.com/gamepro1080/

No idea if they will ship outside the US though.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm how would that be better? :P

I've been looking around and still waiting to buy the HD-PVR. I bought the converter thing, though.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    You could avoid the series of adapters by using HDMI input into that and then passthrough output into the monitor. Plus it records 1080p, while the Hauppauge is limited to 1080i.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm how would that be better? :P

I've been looking around and still waiting to buy the HD-PVR. I bought the converter thing, though.
    The The BlitzBox GamePro 1080 is an unknown quantity. I'd wait for some reputable reviews before buying something brand new. Not to mention that new capture devices sometimes have significant driver bugs to be worked out before they are stable and work as advertised. That was certainly true for the Hauppauge HD-PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. I'll probably stick with the HD-PVR, though like I said I've yet to buy it. You mentioned getting the gaming edition... The differences were that the gaming edition had a component cable and slightly different software, correct? I'm wondering whether to go for the normal edition if I can get a component cable myself. Would the software be that much of a help? I already have Sony Vegas. It's roughly an extra £50 for the gaming edition, see.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fair enough. I'll probably stick with the HD-PVR, though like I said I've yet to buy it. You mentioned getting the gaming edition... The differences were that the gaming edition had a component cable and slightly different software, correct? I'm wondering whether to go for the normal edition if I can get a component cable myself. Would the software be that much of a help? I already have Sony Vegas. It's roughly an extra £50 for the gaming edition, see.
    Before the Gaming Edition existed, people managed just fine recording the output from their console with the standard edition and its included software. One set of regular A/V component video and stereo audio cables will be provided if the device comes with all its original accessories. You will need to buy an XBox component video cable because.
    Quote Quote