VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to this, so I hope to learn a lot. I have a Sony TRV22 that I'm using to do passthrough capture of VHS tapes via firewire to AVI. I'm using DVIO to capture on the computer. On the bottom of the image when I play back the AVI file on the computer, the bottom 4 or 5 lines seem to be way out of sync and bounce around, creating a distracting image. These lines don't show when the VHS tape is played on a VCR/TV or even on the TRV22 screen when I'm doing the capture. Is there any way to eliminate these lines? Do I need to get a TBC device to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is normal and no need special TBC device for eliminate that and many topics about "oversan" can be found. Just search for "overscan" for more explanations.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for the tip, I will search on that. Another question - the audio quality of the tapes is low. I'd like to boost the volume and do a bit of noise reduction. I'm familiar with how to do this with wave files in Audacity, but have never worked with an audio track on a video. Is there a good way to extract the audio, clean it up and then re-insert it into the video?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Extract the Audio with Virtualdub or AviDemux as Wav PCM and re-insert the new audio into the video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's called head switching noise and is a property of all VHS recordings. You don't see it on TV because TVs overscan -- they don't let you see the extreme edges of the frame. The only way to eliminate it is to crop or mask.
    Quote Quote