VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know why this is happening?

I did some screen captures using x264 in Camstudio, and the original captures look fine when I play them back through VLC or whatever.

But when I play them or back bounce them out of Sony Vegas after editing, in ANY format, I get weird color errors that you can see in the attached file.

Ideas?

I noticed that the first frame in the video is frozen, until there's actually some movement happening. Possible clue?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Probably b-frame in AVI issue . Especially bad with AVC in AVI with many programs. Use no b-frames when recording using x264vfw. Some people say to use I frames only as well --keyint 1 , but filesize will be much larger for equivalent quality
    Quote Quote  
  3. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    What would the command line parameter be for no b-frames?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by CursedLemon View Post
    What would the command line parameter be for no b-frames?
    --bframes 0
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can see in the screenshots for what bandicam suggests for x264vfw/ vegas compatibility
    http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/vfw-x264-xvid-divx-h264-codec/

"ultrafast" disables almost everything, including b-frames . Compression is low, especially with --keyint 1 . It' s basically the lowest quality, lowest overhead, lowest compression setting for x264. It's not necessary in my experience. That's geared more for high FPS captures like video game play, where you want the fastest possible recordings without frame drops. But disabling b-frames is a MUST for most NLE's when using AVI container . Alternatively , if you just remux into MP4 container, b-frames usually work fine
    Quote Quote  
  6. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Still seems to be messed up.

Here's the x264 config window:

Click image for larger version

Name:	messedup2.PNG
Views:	286
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	26370

And here's a still from the video I just captured:

Name:	messedup.png
Views:	214
Size:	757.5 KB
ID:	26371
    Quote Quote  
  7. uncheckmark "disable decoder" and/or install a VFW AVC decoder like ffdshow

or remux into MP4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used screen capture utilities only a few times, mostly to record Tutorials. I always use Lagarith Lossless codec (usually yv12) and never had any issues with capture or editing.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with Lagarith for me (with Camstudio anyway) is that it results in really huge capture files, about 850 MB for a one minute video, and this video that I captured for this project is 24 minutes long. I only have a 500 GB hard drive!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Still no go ?

Then try the bandicam x264vfw/vegas suggested settings above, also with --keyint 1
    Quote Quote  
  11. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Tried with Bandicam (with recommended settings) and got the same problems.

Name:	messedup.png
Views:	320
Size:	522.2 KB
ID:	26382
    Quote Quote  
  12. Really? I-frame only still have problems ?? Very odd - can you upload that small sample ?

Note remuxing to MP4 usually fixes all problems, even with b-frames. So you have small filesize with decent quality
    Quote Quote  
  13. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    My mistake! I made a typo with the keyinit option and that seemed to fix the issue, for multiple formats/programs!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!