VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello everyone! First at all i want to say sorry for my english...
    My name is Ruben and i'm from Argentina. I was searching for video images editors forums, that's how i came here. Honestly i don't have any idea of this, but im desperate.

I have a video where you can see a white truck. Sadly video's resolution is very very poor, and the number of the truck can't be seen in first look, because it's a security camera video. I need to know the number. That truck hurt people and just kept going. So please, someone can help me?. Probably what is gonna happen is that you can't help because the resolution is very low, but i will keep trying, searching for more forums and posting.

Meaby you guys are wondering:
    1- Why don't you do it by yourself?
    Like i said, i have no idea of image video editing. I could learn, but it would take more time than i have...
    2- Why don't you take the video to police?
    Im from argentina, this country is corrupted, in fact, there was a video that dissapear, in that video surely truck's number would be seen.
    3- How can you spect that people who don't know you and never will spend their own time and effort to help you?
    Because i believe there is good people out there. People who wan't justice to be made.. Because i guess you guys like video image edition, meaby its a good test for you, i already don't know what to think..

PD: Admins, if you consider this post unacceptable, please don't delete it or my account, once i read people don't want or can't help me, i will personaly delete it and move on in peace, no more post, i promise. Thanks you

PD2: If there is some people insterested to help me out, i would appreacite it the rest of my life, and i would upload the video.

Thanks for your attention, if you think it's fake, i will give link to my facebook page, im just a desperate guy looking for help to make justice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There is no way to retrieve detail that is not in the photo to begin with.

There is software that will sometimes help a little bit, like this software:

"Focus Magic"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you upload the video somewhere that we can download and have a look at it?
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you need to upload the video. either here or on a filesharing site that people can download it from.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your answers, all of you guys. Here is the video

https://mega.nz/#!0Z8WjJ4T

Key to download it: !Vbno5BxLede5syvssw03SuNZbNxjjQ4HhSAmAb1b4G0

I didn't put the link before because i wasn't sure you guys were going to help me. Again, thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hate to break it to you, but you'll NEVER get anything usable out of that video.

Reasons:
    1. The total resolution is 352x288! Even if the license plate were alone, full screen and bright and still, it might not be easy to read.
    2. The truck only appears in a small portion of the frame, which means that the area that the license plate occupies is composed only ~1/2 of 1% of the screen, which leaves you with ~3/4 pixel x 1/2 pixel resolution!! There is no way to differentiate any letter or number from such little space.
    3. Compounded on that, the truck appears for only about 3 seconds at most, and is compressed, so even if it were bigger, you couldn't get anything more than smears from it.
    4. I'm confident that, even if something could have been done, using a 3rd party to "restore" a piece of media could easily be re-interpreted as being "doctored" or faked, which is why it is best to follow chain-of-evidence procedures and be bonded & vetted, etc., and that is why most people say go to the police (because, in a best practices version, they would follow that methodology and either restore it themselves or farm it out to an expert). No point in trying something that couldn't be used as evidence, or would get thrown out (even in the best of judicial systems).

Sorry,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    It's ok, even i don't know anything about video and image editing, i kinda knew it was going to be almost impossible. All i have to say is thanks you all guys for your time. After scoot's answer (thats should be excelent, i mean, having that deepknowledge), i should quit trying. This was the third forum i post looking for help. There was people really willing to help me, that was really nice. Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote