VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been running W8.1 for one week and in that week I've gotten over 100 malwares. MalwarebytesPro and windows defender have eliminated all of them. In all the years I ran XP I didn't get that many. This is a more secure OS than XP?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I've been running W8.1 for one week and in that week I've gotten over 100 malwares. MalwarebytesPro and windows defender have eliminated all of them. In all the years I ran XP I didn't get that many. This is a more secure OS than XP?
    I have been running 8.1 almost since it was released. My scans have found no malware, other than tracking cookies and the adware/adware installers that were included with several programs I downloaded from VideoHelp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Almost all of them are probably tracking cookies. Disable cookies globally in your browser. Then only allow sites where you need them to use them. You were probably running a cookie blocker in XP.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Jan 2014 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    Yea probably tracking cookies, but XP easy use than Windows 8

XP's infection rate "six times higher" than Windows 8

Windows 8 is 21 times safer than XP
    Whenever I read something which quotes, refers to, or in some way includes the phrase "Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing", I need to go and have a little lie down.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the betterprivacy firefox plugin, which gets rid of long term storage cookies when you close ff. Very handy ... those lso cookies can definitely cause problems and they can be a right bugger to remove. Superantispyware isn't nearly as good as this plugin for getting rid of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I enable Self-Destructing Cookies extension in Firefox and never get tracking cookies. You can designate the websites that you want the cookie to remain.
    Quote Quote