VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to use a component to hdmi converter to hook up the ps2 component cables to the hauppauge, then from the hauppauge to the converter, then HDMI to monitor? Also, would this cause problems like the PS3 converter, where if you don't get a certain type, the image will be off-screen?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A component video to HDMI converter won't allow you to use your HDMI monitor with a PS2. Computer monitors normally require a progressive signal at 60Hz. Regular computer monitors don't understand interlaced video and other framerates. The only exception is a monitor that is actually a tunerless TV, and one of those would have analog A/V inputs.

Component to HDMI converters only output the resolution and framerate sent to them. If you are using a PS2, most games use 480i or 480p at 29.97Hz, and you are wasting your time using a component to HDMI converter. Your monitor can't display 480i (interlaced) 29.97Hz video or 480p (progresive) 29.97Hz video. The converter will only be useful to connect a computer monitor with a game console that can output 720p at 60Hz, like the PS3 or XBox 360. Even then, if the monitor isn't 1280x720 resolution, the picture will be either be stretched to fit or surrounded by a black frame.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Aug 2012 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Was kind of thinking that but wishful thinking I guess. Any kind of connector I can use to hook the PS2 up to a monitor with DVI-D or HDMI connection?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spike32 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Was kind of thinking that but wishful thinking I guess. Any kind of connector I can use to hook the PS2 up to a monitor with DVI-D or HDMI connection?
    I thnk the only good solution to your problem is to replace the monitor with a small TV.

The converter boxes I have seen that upscale from 480i/480p to 720p as well as convert from component to HSMI cost more than a small TV.

Connecting the PS2 to an SD PC capture device and just watching with software without capturing would allow the graphics card to upscale for the monitor but is likely to introduce a small delay (lagging video and audio).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by spike32 View Post
    I thnk the only good solution to your problem is to replace the monitor with a small TV.

The converter boxes I have seen that upscale from 480i/480p to 720p as well as convert from component to HSMI cost more than a small TV.

Connecting the PS2 to an SD PC capture device and just watching with software without capturing would allow the graphics card to upscale for the monitor but is likely to introduce a small delay (lagging video and audio).
    Alright cool, thanks dude. Appreciate it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    See the new Hauppauge WinTV HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition
    HDMI 1080p input (NoN-Encrypted HDMI signals up to 1080p)
    HDMI 1080p passthrough
    Component Video input is also output over HDMI passthrough up to 1080i
    Recording up to 1080p with HDMI
    Recording up to 1080i with Component
    Recording AAC stereo audio only
    Component Video in, with stereo audio
    S/Video and Composite Video in, with stereo audio (optional cable not supplied)
    Magnum DXTPro Encoder Chipset
    Bundled with ArcSoft ShowBiz
    Record button on top of HD PVR 2 for easy start and stop recordings
    Click here to see more about it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    See the new Hauppauge WinTV HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition
    HDMI 1080p input (NoN-Encrypted HDMI signals up to 1080p)
    HDMI 1080p passthrough
    Component Video input is also output over HDMI passthrough up to 1080i
    Recording up to 1080p with HDMI
    Recording up to 1080i with Component
    Recording AAC stereo audio only
    Component Video in, with stereo audio
    S/Video and Composite Video in, with stereo audio (optional cable not supplied)
    Magnum DXTPro Encoder Chipset
    Bundled with ArcSoft ShowBiz
    Record button on top of HD PVR 2 for easy start and stop recordings
    Click here to see more about it
    Nice capture device, but it won't help the OP. It won't upscale 480p video or upscale and deinterlace 480i video received as input for the HDMI pass-through. The monitor will still receive 480i or 480p video over the HDMI pass-through. It won't be pleasant to watch either of those on a typical PC monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It very possable that could all ready have what the Hauppauge Colossus has rigth now which is up/down scale 480p/480i Realtime Recoding Feature
    You can see a screenshot of it rigth here
    http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=12418.0
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It very possable that could all ready have what the Hauppauge Colossus has rigth now which is up/down scale 480p/480i Realtime Recoding Feature
    You can see a screenshot of it rigth here
    http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=12418.0
    The Hauppauge Colossus or HD-PVR 2 Gaming edition won't help with the OP's problem. The OP wants to use an HDMI monitor to play games with a PS2 console. He doesn't have a TV. To play the game using the monitor, he would use the HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition HDMI passthrough to avoid lag.

It is nice that the H.254 hardware encoder scales, but that won't help with the HDMI passthrough. Most PS2 games are 480i30 or 480p30. The pass through will still provide 480i30 or 480p30. 480i30 or 480p30 don't work well with a computer monitor even using HDMI.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Aug 2012 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Realtime HDMI video scaler are not cheap at just over $800
    That odd 480i / 480p work well with computer monitor I have tryed even using DVI/HDMI cable the problem I ever run in to was 1920x1080i /1080p becuases lot older 22/24 or smaller" monitor didn't support that size but did support 1280x720p
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Realtime HDMI video scaler are not cheap at just over $800
    That odd 480i / 480p work well with computer monitor I have tryed even using DVI/HDMI cable the problem I ever run in to was 1920x1080i /1080p becuases lot older 22/24 or smaller" monitor didn't support that size but did support 1280x720p
    I think you did not have a regular monitor or did not have it connected directly to a 480i or 480p source. Every regular computer monitor I have seen is designed to use input at 60 Hz, or maybe 60 to 85 Hz for CRTs, not 29.97Hz They also don't like interlaced video. I received this information from edDV, originally. If you want to argue with him go ahead.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Aug 2012 at 18:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CRT TV/Monitor even LCD/DLP/OLE are also 60Hz so that has nothing to do with it and mine is a Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW
    Take time read this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate#Televisions
    You forgot take in count odd lines and then the even lines (these are known as fields). This doubles the refresh rate, compared to a progressive scan image at the same frame rate.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CRT TV/Monitor even LCD/DLP/OLE are also 60Hz so that has nothing to do with it and mine is a Samsung SyncMaster 2233BW
    Take time read this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate#Televisions
    You forgot take in count odd lines and then the even lines (these are known as fields). This doubles the refresh rate, compared to a progressive scan image at the same frame rate.
    Thanks, but I already read that article some time ago. Of course I know that 480i30 is 60 fields per second. However, an ordinary computer monitor does not handle the interlaced fields properly on its own. That's why video cards and video player software deinterlace. Otherwise the resulting picture looks like crap.

It looks like you forgot 480p video from the PS2 more likely to be 30 frames per second than 60. A TV is built to handle 30 fps video input but a monitor is not.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Aug 2012 at 23:46.
    Quote Quote