VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, and thanks in advance for any help. As this thread's title indicates, I was wondering: is it possible to change the color of hard coded subtitles? I've an 8+GB 720p .mkv file (.avc and .aac) with bright yellow hard coded subtitles that I'm going to shrivel down to 3-4GB using MeGUI, and I was hoping that during the re-encoding process, or as an extra step, there exists a method for changing the subtitle's (subtitles' ?) color to white. I apologize if this question has been asked-answered already; I was unable to find an answer Googling (but perhaps I was asking the wrong question). Thanks again for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you, Baldrick, for the confirmation. Guess I'll wear my sunglasses when watching .
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could change the color of bright stuff in the subtitle area. But that would include any bright part of the picture, not just the subtitles. It wouldn't help readability -- if that's your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a source for the subs, take a stab at the font and can adjust the position, it's doable.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	22180  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	22181  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	22182  

Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sambat View Post
    If you have a source for the subs, take a stab at the font and can adjust the position, it's doable.

Thanks for your reply, sambat. Would you please elaborate a bit? I don't fully understand the above quote.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, it is possible. Using a rect. Garbage matte+Luma/Chromakey mask with hue change compositing.
    Or as a longshot, retype the text as a new overlay.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes, it is possible. Using a rect. Garbage matte+Luma/Chromakey mask with hue change compositing.
    Or as a longshot, retype the text as a new overlay.

Scott

Thanks for your reply, Cornucopia, but would you translate it to English, please . Really, though, would you pretty please offer a little more detail? I'm reasonably intelligent and capable of learning new tricks but need more to go on than "Using a rect. Garbage matte+Luma/Chromakey mask with hue change compositing. Or as a longshot, retype the text as a new overlay." Is "rect." short for rectangular? I'm familiar with VirtualDub and MeGUI, would either of these be a viable tool for what you suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a video with permanent subs (image 1).
    Found a .srt file on-line and, using the default font and size, used SRT to SSA Converter to get an ssa version of the subs.
    Opened the video in VirtualDub and used TextSub 2.23 filter to add the new .ssa file (image 2).
    Note that it took me three tries to get the correct size for the subs to match the original.
    Refined the the output from the converter to get the correct distance from the bottom border (images 3 and 4).

Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    okey...it's possible....

But isn't easier finding another dvd/blu-ray source without or switchables subs?
    Quote Quote  
  11. That's not changing the color of the subs. It's overlaying new subs of a different color.
    Quote Quote  
  12. sambat: thanks for the elaboration; I'll attack forthwith .

Baldrick: that was my first thought, but the best copy available (by my reckoning) is the one with bright yellow hard coded subtiles.

jagabo: good point .
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Strictly speaking, the ssa file is not required.
    The TextSub 2.23 filter can select the font, size, position and colour via thr 'Styles' button.
    Quote Quote