Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have yet to find a home theater system than can be made region free
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    i have yet to find a home theater system than can be made region free
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some additional info...

Specialty players, which include portables, car players, home theater systems, and combo players (ie. DVD/TV, DVD/VCR, etc.) almost never can be unlocked, not even if they are DVD only and don't play BluRay at all.

It's basically impossible in most places in the world now to ever unlock a BluRay player you buy in a regular store. There are exceptions, but they are rare and they're usually in Australia. I no longer know of any US/Canada sold players that can be unlocked out of the box. If you are by some miracle able to unlock a BluRay player, the odds are huge that it will only be for DVD playback.

If you want a player you can unlock, these days you really have no choice but to buy one from a reseller who has hardward modified the player to support unlocking for BluRay and DVD. This increases your cost over the normal store price, but at least the player can be unlocked. By saying "hardware modified" I mean that they have changed the internal components of the player by adding special hardware to support region unlocking.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Some additional info...

Specialty players, which include portables, car players, home theater systems, and combo players (ie. DVD/TV, DVD/VCR, etc.) almost never can be unlocked, not even if they are DVD only and don't play BluRay at all.

It's basically impossible in most places in the world now to ever unlock a BluRay player you buy in a regular store. There are exceptions, but they are rare and they're usually in Australia. I no longer know of any US/Canada sold players that can be unlocked out of the box. If you are by some miracle able to unlock a BluRay player, the odds are huge that it will only be for DVD playback.

If you want a player you can unlock, these days you really have no choice but to buy one from a reseller who has hardward modified the player to support unlocking for BluRay and DVD. This increases your cost over the normal store price, but at least the player can be unlocked. By saying "hardware modified" I mean that they have changed the internal components of the player by adding special hardware to support region unlocking.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!