VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello friends
    I have DVD Player (JVD dvd player) at Home, I can play AVI, DVD, CD, VOB etc. file. But i cant play MKV file.
    DIVX registred player can play this file. via divx player (Divx/vod)
    I have not DIVX registred device, its not shown registration code but only showing xxxxxxxxxxx.

Anybody have Idea or any software so i cant install in my DVD player for MKV file.
    I dont want to convert MKV to other file.

thanks in advance.

regards
    Amit
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not possible to play MKV files on any DVd player.

What you can do is use a BD player, because now many of them play mkv.

I have an LG BD390, and I use it as a media center and mkv player all the time. It's great, but it's discontinued. The B590 seems to be a good one too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Aren't most BD players still rather picky about the types/formats of the MKVs they'll play, though? (Just as DVD players are already picky about the types of video files they'll play.)

You might look into something like the WDTV or a Media Center setup, if you'd really rather not convert. The WDTV is available for around $100, I believe; it doesn't play discs, so no DVD/BD playback. But it should play a wide selection of video types and containers, better than the support you might find on a DVD/BD player (with less restrictions, anyway), including MKV.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A media player is a can of worms too. Though you certainly pay much less and can connect an external CD, DVD or BD player to it, those that you use on laptops as externals, through USB interface.

But the fact is that the way you describe it you don't play anything on a media player: you play it on the networked computer. That is you run what's on your computer's HDDs.

Since I bought my LG BD390 in November 2009, I have been following a forum topic about the WDTV Live, and you do have problems too. As I see it more problems than I have had with my LG. Files that do not play, HDDs that are not seen by the WDTV, etc.

But it's a good way to go into the media center universe, certainly the cheaper one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Today HDTV play all kind of file extesion movies. what kind of configuration in these tv to play the .mkv file . if we know than we can play the .mkv file in the Dvd Player without converting the file in the other format...............

i think it is possible if we know the configuration .............

Thanks.............
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ladkvayo: Er...

No DVD player supports playback of MKV container videos, as far as I'm aware. So, if you want to play them through a DVD player, you'll have no choice but to convert.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ladkvayo View Post
    we can play the .mkv file in the Dvd Player without converting the file in the other format.
    Wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, you can't play an MKV file on any DVD player. The internal electronics wouldn't allow it.

Only a BD player allows that, and you can record the MKV files on a DVD (up to 8Gb). The BD player will then open the mkv file and play it.

Even so, just a few BD players do play MKV files, even if that might be changing already.
    Quote Quote