VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I have a 700mb 1hour 30minute film I encoded in TMPGEnc. When it`s encoded, the film is 1600mb. This is with 1500 kbits/sec. What if i want to fit 6 1,5 hours movies on on dvd. 700x6=4200.

Is that possible at all? And some times I cant make the bitrate less than 2000 kbits/sec. Even if I load the unlock template. Why?
    Martin Studios
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think that's a limitation of the wizard. In manual mode, you can set the bitrate to whatever you want.

6 movies will fit on a data dvd, but it will be dependent on your player being able to play divx/xvid files.

Also, I'm assuming that 700MB is probably the size of your source (AVI ?). Unfortunately the compression schemes used with most codecs in AVIs are not 1:1 when converting to DVD-compliant MPEG - in fact as a general rule of thumb for divx and xvid, you need to use somewhere between 2x-4x the original bitrate to retain a similar level of quality in MPEG-2.

9 hours on a SL DVDR in DVD-compliant MPEG will be less than VCD quality, BTW.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, ok i want to burn divx video. But all dvd author programs must have mpeg-2 video, so how can i burn dvd`s with .avi divX, menu and subtitle?
    Martin Studios
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know too much about standalone divx players, but I'd assume you would put the files on a DVD in DVD-ROM mode (simply as files - no authoring, no converting, no menus). Your DVD/Divx player should handle giving you menus (I'd guess). Any subtitles should have been built into the Divx when it was encoded. Just thinking outta my ass here... anyone know for sure?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by akrako1
    I don't know too much about standalone divx players, but I'd assume you would put the files on a DVD in DVD-ROM mode (simply as files - no authoring, no converting, no menus). Your DVD/Divx player should handle giving you menus (I'd guess). Any subtitles should have been built into the Divx when it was encoded.
    Pretty much .... just a simple data CD or DVD in your burning software of choice. I don't "do" subtitles, so I don't know what requirements they have.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote