VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello - I want to play vhs tapes in my vcr through my computer or even plug straight into the computer monitor. I don't even need audio, just video.

I am set up to capture vhs using my main vcr. But I want to use a second, cheaper vcr to scan through the tapes so I can keep the capture vcr as clean as possible. I'd like to stack the two vcr's, using one to look at the footage on the tape and the other to capture. I want to do this without having to plug/unplug cables each time.

The computer monitor has two USB ports on the side. Could I buy a RCA-->USB converter to see video? I think one problem may be switching between video sources for playback. Basically, does anyone know how/if I can do this. I'm trying to avoid going into the other room to view the tapes via the family tv. The workflow would be much better if I could do everything at my work station (computer).

Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Playing your tapes on a cheaper VCR isn't the best idea I've heard of. That VCR may introduce problems into your tapes or have picture problems you think you have to correct that the main VCR doesn't have. Your best bet would honestly be to play once on the main VCR and record what you play in as high quality as possible and work from those recordings.

You cannot do what you propose by the methods you suggest. The only way to view the VCR output on a PC is to buy a capture card/device and use that to watch what the VCR plays without recording it.

If like 99% of the public you are using a laptop, you better state that ASAP as your hands will be tied by that and your options will be limited. Or if God forbid you have a Mac you definitely need to say so ASAP. You'll have more options if you have a tower PC, but it's only us IT folks and some of the experienced people here who buy those any more.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A composite video (or s-video if SVHS) A/B switch is your best bet.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DT902AV-2-Way-Switcher/dp/B0014KOAD8/
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Playing your tapes on a cheaper VCR isn't the best idea I've heard of.
    The problem is that many of the tapes aren't labled well and others may only have short clip that I want to archive. I dread the idea of cleaning the vcr. I'm not confident of doing it properly. Is there no video of vcr cleaning???

If like 99% of the public you are using a laptop....
    Sorry I didn't say. I have a decent Dell quad-core desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A composite video (or s-video if SVHS) A/B switch is your best bet.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-DT902AV-2-Way-Switcher/dp/B0014KOAD8/
    Thanks for the link. I'll read the reviews and try to figure out if it will work for me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look at your local Craigslist or equivalent for a free or cheap CRT TV. People are literally giving away their old TVs. Pass it on once you're done. This way you can can scan your tapes on one VCR and capture with the other.

The ports on your monitor are (unless you have very unusual monitor) a USB hub. You plug a cable from your PC into the back o the monitor and the two additional ports act as an extension.

Finally, if the two VCRs are from the same manufacturer (or rebranded from the same manufacturer), if you use the remote both VCRS will do the same function chosen.
    Quote Quote