VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I cannot for the life of me understand this.

I get my Aver card and plug my Wii into the composite input set to 480i and get this.

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/MCOlr.png

Now at first I'm like.... meh. Maybe configured the capture filter wrong but nope. The best I can get is that above picture or black and white. So I set the Wii to PAL 576i and everything is perfect. Colours look amazing and how it should be. The same happens for games. NTSC 480i will not show properly but PAL 576i is 100% fine.

So I begin to wonder.... might be the console. I get out my backup Wii. I try stuff. Same exact thing as the last Wii. Just to double check I get my gamecube out, set the game to original 50Hz PAL and colour is fine etc. I set the game to 60hz by holding B down and black and white again. I tried every standard, even PAL_60. No colour will be shown when NTSC is passed over composite is my summary at this point. More unusual events unfold below.

I now hook up my component Wii cables, set the Wii to 480i and then surprise, everything is absolutely perfect, even the games on NTSC.

Just before I blame the card I have an idea. Let's try PS3 on composite to verify it's the card. I load up a PSN NTSC classic and then.... colour. It looks perfect. I verify colour on the 360 composite as working.

Last ditch attempt for myself. I had a Wii2HDMI adapter lying around. I connect Wii via HDMI and we have colour on 480i 60 Hz and working fine.

So yeah... to summarize this (NTSC)

Composite Wii colour fails
    Composite Gamecube colour fails
    Component Wii colour passes
    HDMI Wii colour passes
    Composite PS3 colour passes
    Composite 360 colour passes

Also I noticed that if you have a NTSC game on the Wii and select a PAL filter you will get a very juttery image but it will be colour.

Can any fellow H727 errors see if they can display 480i fine over composite? I have literally went over every configuration I can think of in multiple programs (Aver own program, Virtualdub, AMCap, Amarec all display same results)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pretty much all game consoles output non-standard composite. a tv can play it but devices that need strict compliance will not read it correctly. been going on since the atari 800, commodore 64, apple 2e, etc.....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    pretty much all game consoles output non-standard composite. a tv can play it but devices that need strict compliance will not read it correctly. been going on since the atari 800, commodore 64, apple 2e, etc.....
    Once I posted this topic I looked at here. I'm guessing this is the reason: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/307341-Trying-To-Capture-NTSC-VHS-Video-With-UK-Equipment (the quasi signal as poster two said?)

I am also guessing since the PS3/360 are more modern they are following the guidelines more effectively and thus they work?

Question though. Say I do want to use 480i on my Wii with composite. There must be someone out there who has tried this before or someone in the US who has used it?

I wonder if I changed my Wii region to NTSC if I would have full NTSC compliancy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It sounds like the Wii is putting out a PAL60 signal, not true NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It sounds like the Wii is putting out a PAL60 signal, not true NTSC.
    I tried setting capture filter to PAL 60 there to yeah. Still black and white. I think the issue is definitely non standard composite and the card is just being strict.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Dscaler support pal60 very well, try it & report
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Fixed the issue myself. Extreme measures but yeah, was definitely bang on about Wii not sending true NTSC.

I region changed my Wii to US and we have full colour when selecting NTSC_M now. So happy.
    Quote Quote