VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recently bought a LiteOn DVD Recorder LVW1107HC1, had no problem creating new DVD's using Memorex DVD+RW media, and the playback in the LiteOn unit is fine. However, just checked to see if it would play in any of my other two DVD players, and discovered to my dismay that it won't. Tried to play in a Sanyo as well as a Sony. Can't read the disc. I went back and did the "finalize/make compatible" in the LiteOn, but that doesn't even seem to work, as it says "reading", then it says "change disc." When I tried it again in the other DVD players, still doesn't work. Very upset about this, as I know this cheap recorder won't last long, so I will end up with all these useless DVD's that I have taken hours to record and edit. I previously had a Tru-Tech, used the same media, and had no problems playing the DVD's in other players. Any ideas here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You say that you are using +RW media and finalizing them. +RW is not finalized and I doubt that the 1107 would do so. Only +R is finalized to play on other units, if they will accept a + disk
    The Sanyo and Sony may not accept a + disk. My Son in Law has a Toshiba DVD and will not play a + disk, so I cut a disk for him on a –R/RW disk
    When you say the same media, do you mean the same brand and they were – disks.
    I am not familiar with the Tru-Tech recorder but make sure it will use either a + or – disk or both. and were you using - disks
    Check the disk compatibility. If the disk use is OK than you may have a bum unit, take it back and get another. The LiteOn is a good unit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Appreciate your input, but none of the things you suggested as possible reasons for the problem apply. When I said "finalized", there is a tools option on the Recorder which says "Finalize (Make Compatible)" which I tried just for the heck of it. Of course, it didn't work and/or solve the problem. Both my Sanyo and Sony have accepted the same brand and media (Memorex DVD+RW) burned on the Tru-Tech recorder, so that's not it. So, thanks anyway, but I still have no solution. I will call the company/tech support to see what they tell me, but they're rarely helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have a daytek which uses the same GUIDER menu system, and the finalise option seems spurious, + R or +RW media does not need finalising.

Sony dvd machines are picky about which media they will work with, so lets discount the Sony problem.

Also in my experience, I did buy a small quantity of memorex media and would never buy them again due to playing and recording reliability.

Some dvd machines will not work well with RW media of either persuasion (- or +).

Use a cleaning disc on all of your machines, even the smallest speck of stuff can foil a lens, ensure your discs are clean.

I suspect you are just getting a , "we won;t play with your gang" media problem.

Why are you using RW media to record?,,are you watching and wiping, if not use +R,
    RW media is really only helpful if you wish to take the recording to a computer and edit.

Hope this helps.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have that exact 1107 model myself. I can use +rw and record then take them straight to another player without doing anything to it.

Can you take a +rw that is freshly recorded and not finalized and play it on the pc dvd drive? If you can that it may be a media issue.

I use memorex +RW myself on the 1107 and haven't had a problem playing it on an older toshiba or a cyberhome dvd player.

I'd suggest experimenting with different brands of discs as well.

EDIT -
    Originally Posted by victoriabears
    Why are you using RW media to record?,,are you watching and wiping, if not use +R,
    RW media is really only helpful if you wish to take the recording to a computer and edit.
    Actually I use rw all the time so I can erase it and use it over just like old vhs tapes. Works like a charm. And occasionally I take it to the pc and rip it to make a permanent, commercial free copy and then erase again on the dvd recorder.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. +R reguires finalizing
    +RW does not
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Toshiba player that will play no DVDs created on my LiteOn LVW-5005 regardless of format, i.e. +R, -R, +RW, -RW all will not play on this Toshiba player if created on that LiteOn recorder. More than likely Marianne777 has similar player compatibility issues. The only solution I've found that works witout fail is to make a copy of the LiteOn created disks using DVDDecrypter iso read and iso write with +R media on a PC with book type set to DVD-ROM. The +RW disks may then be used to record new video once contents are copied to DVD-ROM format.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have found the Toshiba a good machine, however it is most likely In the same class as the Sony. Very picky as to the DVD ‘s it will play, even if Book Marked
    I do not have a 1107 but have a LiteOn 5045 and three ilo RHDO4 [made by LiteOn], If other units will accept a +R disk, it is no problem, If not I simply burn them to a –disk.
    I have no problems.
    Others that have a 1107 claim No Problems.

Again, --- for info.--- A +R Disk REQUIRES being Finalized to play in most other playsrs although they may play in some.
    A +RW Does Not Require to be Finalized. And should not be, In fact I know of no recorder that will finalize them but will give a Change Disk message and possibly an error code

As to the problem posted by [Marianne777] It would seem that the LiteOn unit is not satisfactory as the mentioned Tru-Tech was, The 1107 does not offer any hack or other outstanding features. Seriously I would return it and get a unit to my liking

PS
    I do not use my recorders for playing.
    I use three Cyberhome units, They will play anything, are long lasting, and cheap
    If I could get a Bagle in it, I belive they would play it
    Quote Quote