VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, so I have a rather... kind of advanced question, even though the subject line seems pretty simple.

I've gone through many, many different free programs that can split videos, and they all do their job rather correctly, or very close to correctly (...unless there's certain settings that I'm not aware of that could do exactly what I want).

So what I'm looking for is a rather simple program that:
    1) I can scroll through a video file, an on-screen frame-by-frame visual, to select the starting position and the ending position for the split video.
    2) But also, have the program automatically detect all the properties of the video, and use those exact settings for the split video (example: the program would read that a video is 2000kbps video & type of video (mp4/etc), and 192kbps audio & type of audio (mp3/aac/etc)

The closest thing I found is: SolveigMM Video Splitter, yet it has a few bugs sometimes when splitting videos. Is there anything really similar to it and very good?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you may be missing in your quest is whether you understand the rather substantial complications to "frame by frame" (aka frame-accurate) splitting brought on by Inter-frame compressed codecs (codecs that make use of GOPs). Particularly with Long-GOP, Open-GOP, and/or multi-frame referenced GOP types. Those can make a usable-split-point-without-reencoding shift earlier or later by scores or even hundreds of frames.
    My intuition is that your assumption of "bugs" in such apps is really just the apps' proper accommodation of these difficulties.

Long story short: you can't have your cake and eat it too. Frame accuracy vs. Non-reencoding vs. Interframe codec. One of those will have to give.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Okay thanks for the replies.

I'll check out VideoReDo again (the newest version of this program). What I mean by "again" is that I keep a Notepad text file on the computer stating which programs are "non-preferred", with a note stating what the issue was. It's just too bad that for this one and only one program, which I had listed as the first program when I came up with the idea of which programs are not preferred, I never posted what the issue was from that program. Yet it had an issue that completely made me change my mind about doing video processing using it. Too bad I didn't write that down. But I did look at the version that was posted in my text file:

"
    • VideoReDo TVSuite 5.1.1.719
    > Cannot remember what issue was with the re-encoded video.
    "

And I see that the newest version seems to have many many fixes, so I'll give it another try. It will take some days to find the final decision, Hopefully I don't find anything wrong with the newest version. Other notes, for example, are as such:

"
    MAGIX Movie Edit 17.0.2.159
    > Doesn't seem to have a feature to keep a video's original encoded settings whenever re-encoding the video.

MP4Tools 3.6
    > MP4Splitter doesn't playback the video to figure out from where to cut.

VidCutter 5.0.5
    > A black screen glitch happens after about a second in the newly re-encoded video.
    "

And to Cornucopia, yes you are correct, I'm looking for a program that can be frame accurate, that's what I was implying earlier. Yet I think I know the issue you are mentioning is. I've had programs never be exactly accurate on splitting mp4 videos. HandBrake cannot be accurate for some reason, yet I'm a little confused by what you're saying. I've noticed that in SolveigMM Video Splitter Business Edition, with the x265 codec option, it splits the video to certain frames very accurately. Have you tried it out? One problem I had with this app is that sometimes there's this small black screen glitch when skipping through the video. I had to re-encode the newly split video in HandBrake to make it work nicely again.
    Anyways, I'll check out the new VideoReDo,

Thanks for the replies
    Quote Quote  
  4. The best thing about VideoReDo is its "smart" editing. It only reencodes cut GOPs. The rest of the video is passed through untouched. That makes it very fast. And you only lose quality on the GOPs. I believe SolveigMM has this too.

I don't know why you insist on keeping the same encoding parameters. That's not going to give you the same quality as the source. Any time you re-encode with a lossy codec you lose quality.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Mar 2019 at 10:07.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've been curious about VideoReDo, what kind of settings does it use to reencode the cut GOPs? Is it set by the user, or does it try to match the rest of the video? If it can do the latter by itself, it'll probably do a better job than me entering the settings by hand after reading them in mediainfo.

Pepanee, are you working with h264 or 265 videos? Those have to be cut at keyframes. If you specify a non-keyframe (by frame number or timecode) most spliters will cut at the nearest keyframe after your specified point, resulting in the inaccuracy that you see.

While I am unfamiliar with the video spliters under discussion, I do know one program with a video player that helpfully highlights when you are looking at a keyframe. Aegisub, a subtitling software. You can play through the video and step through it frame by frame. When you reach a keyframe, the information bar that shows the timecode and frame number becomes green. If the frames you want to cut at are both keyframes, good for you. Otherwise, there is no solution that will not involve some amount of reencoding, the only question is how much.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pepanee View Post
    And to Cornucopia, yes you are correct, I'm looking for a program that can be frame accurate, that's what I was implying earlier. Yet I think I know the issue you are mentioning is. I've had programs never be exactly accurate on splitting mp4 videos. HandBrake cannot be accurate for some reason, yet I'm a little confused by what you're saying. I've noticed that in SolveigMM Video Splitter Business Edition, with the x265 codec option, it splits the video to certain frames very accurately. Have you tried it out? One problem I had with this app is that sometimes there's this small black screen glitch when skipping through the video. I had to re-encode the newly split video in HandBrake to make it work nicely again.
    Anyways, I'll check out the new VideoReDo,

Thanks for the replies
    SolveigMM Video Splitter is closer to a frame-accurate universal splitter than anything else I've looked at. I can't recall seeing anything else which claims to support frame-accurate editing for as many types of files and A/V formats.

VideoReDo TV Suite v5 can't edit and export H.265/HEVC. Support for H.265/HEVC is planned for a future release, VideoReDo TV Suite v6. TMPGEnc MPEG Smart Renderer 5 can edit H.265/HEVC as well as MPEG-2 and H.264.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I notice you said "certain frames". That's what I was talking about. And it's not "some reason", it's for the exact reason I was talking about. You can't change a frame that is referenced in other (dependent) frames without changing them also.

In the editor world, there are normal, dumb (when it comes to re-encoding/rendering) editor apps that re-encode everything, I-frame-only (non-frame accurate) editing apps that avoid the issue of re-encoding by not allowing cuts in difficult frames or only allow intra-frame codecs, "Smart" or "smart-rendering" editing apps that only re-encode the affected GOPs (1 or 2, depending on Open or Closed). I would like to see "Very Smart" editors that only render the affected frames in the affected GOPs, as usually not all frames are equally & fully referenced (h265 makes this more difficult though).

Scott
    Quote Quote