VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am converting Hi8 videos to digital using a Sony CCD-TRV88 Handycam. The tapes play fine on the camcorder, both audio and video, but when I run a line out for the audio to either a speaker system or a computer, it comes along with a loud buzz. The buzz is there so long as the camcorder is powered on, even if it is not playing a tape (though when I push play, the buzz can get somewhat louder). Any ideas on how to get rid of the buzz? Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    see if you can turn around the plug in the wall outlet
    try another outlet
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buzz is often power supply - unregulated etc.

try tapes in different player,

or try better quality shielded audio leads.

The output leads may be picking up interference from electronic devices,
    (even the modern power-breaker domestic fuse-boxes can cause it)

can you do the process in an interference free environment -
    - outdoors for eg - perhaps running inverter from vehicle for mains power,
    well away from any domestic or industrial mains power installations ?

Sounds drastic, but if your legacy recordings are as precious as mine are - may be worth effort

Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by joelkranz View Post
    ...but when I run a line out for the audio to either a speaker system or a computer, it comes along with a loud buzz... Any ideas on how to get rid of the buzz?
    You are using the wrong cable. If that is the 1/8"-to-RCA male cable there are two or three variations on the market, differing in which part of the 1/8" is connected to which RCA plug. If the ground is common, you may try switching video, L and R and see if the buzzing goes away. But I have never encountered a case where the ground is always connected to the same band on the 1/8". This has been discussed in more detail in https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/359280-Pass-through-won-t-work?p=2271848
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have a faulty or wrong type of cable for the audio/video,try another one,if it's still buzzing then it's a ground problem in the camera audio out.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote