VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

So recently i made a DVD with some episodes on a Dual layer disc at about 7.81 gigs and it work fine with no problems.

So now i made one at 4.30gigs on a regular disc, i use Imgburn with no errors but when put in the DVD player it freezes close to the end of the first episode.

What do i do for this not to freeze i have 3 folders at 4.30 gigs with 3 episodes each, should i use a dual layer again?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it's not a Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden disc.....most likely it's the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Its a memorx DVD+R 4.7 gigs.

Should i just get the dual layer[8.5g size] again and use the folders i already made at 4.30 or do i have to re do the files in AVStoDVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Listen to hech54. It's probably a media error. Try to copy the contents of the disc to your hard drive and see if it gives you any reading error.

And you can't just put the 3 folders on a DL. DVD-Video doesn't work like that.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  5. The first 2 discs worked so good and i used dual layer, i had to split the cells tho.

I have to try and find them dvds then around here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you think you already know the answer, why bother to ask?
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Erik,
    You can transcode / decrease the audio data and get a little smaller folders (try to record using BurnAware)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gravitator View Post
    Hi Erik,
    You can transcode / decrease the audio data and get a little smaller folders (try to record using BurnAware)
    Why would he do something stupid like that?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    If you think you already know the answer, why bother to ask?
    The question was I'm using regular 4.7 now and it's freezing, wondering why that's happening.

I said i used the Dual Layer before with no problems which I'm out of disc's.

Anyways thanks guys. Just picked up more dual-layer form the store.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Erik419 View Post
    Its a memorx
    There's your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Erik419 View Post
    Its a memorx
    There's your problem.
    Thanks.

So when i want to try 4.7 again are these good ones?

http://www.officemax.com/technology/drives-memory-storage/cds-dvds-and-data-storage/dv...Q9K1ZlcmJhdGlt

only ones i can find in stock near me...

and its about 3.5 hour's a folder will that be okay even tho it say's 120 mins?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So when i want to try 4.7 again are these good ones?

http://www.officemax.com/technology/drives-memory-storage/cds-dvds-and-data-storage/dv...Q9K1ZlcmJhdGlt

only ones i can find in stock near me...
    At this point given that it's 2013, I really don't know what we can do to help people like this who flat out refuse to buy anything online and will only buy what they can find in local physical stores.

Dude - Do you or do you not want good discs? Or will you just take the best of the crap your local store has to sell?

You'll have to buy good Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden online. A few stores do sell good Verbatim (nobody I know of sells TY except online) but most sell the dreaded "Life" series, which is what you found. It sucks. It sucks less than your Memorex for sure and probably less than most other brands you can find in a physical store, but it's still subpar cheap media intended for Americans who don't care about quality and want to pay less money for lower quality discs. Verbatim makes the Life series for people like you who only go to physical stores and don't buy online, but it's still cheap crap, just less crappy than most/all of its competitors for "value conscious" consumers. Verbatim makes a ton of discs, the vast majority of which are great, but they had to make the Life series because they were losing too many sales to customers who felt that only suckers paid more for discs. Sadly, one of the things I have learned in recent years is generally most Americans will gladly pay less money for a crappier product, but they hesitate to pay more for a better one. Verbatim can sell to those people too on the budget side, but the buyers sacrifice some quality compared to their excellent media. Anything that Verbatim makes that does NOT have the "Life series" label on it is first rate.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Erik419 View Post
    No. Verbatim's Life series is also low quality. You want Verbatim Datalife or Datalife Plus, or Taiyo Yuden. Order them from Amazon.com or supermediastore.com if you can't get any locally (and you probably can't, anymore).

and its about 3.5 hour's a folder will that be okay even tho it say's 120 mins?
    You can put as much running time as you want a single layer DVD because:

Code:
    file size = bitrate * running time
    The issue is at what bitrate does the video become unwatchable because of the loss of detail and blocky artifacts. 3.5 hours should usually be encoded for a dual layer DVD unless it's very clean animated material (which compresses pretty well). Another technique you can use is to reduce the frame size to 352x480 or even 352x240. In that case you are trading off resolution to get fewer compression artifacts. If your video isn't very sharp to begin with (VHS tape for example) 352x480 is often a reasonable compromise.
    Quote Quote