VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How can I set PotPlayer to start playing a video at the video's resolution?

If I have a 640x480 video on my computer, I'd like PotPlayer to open and play the video at 640x480. I can then choose to resize it or double click the mouse to go to full screen. I figured out how to lock the aspect ratio.

Thank you for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I t took me a while also to get it right but there are 3 main screens to set up in preferences (F5) in order to get it to resize to video resolution. These settings I also set to go to default size on open and stop so it shrinks down out of the way. If you want it to stay the same size just hit hte pla/pause button to stop in mid-stream.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_449 Dec. 23 00.47.jpg
Views:	12608
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	15338
    You don't have to select keep on top but I like mine to stay on top. The same for launch multiple players but I like to use more than one to compare quality settings sometimes. Snap to edge means it willsnap to top and side of screen if you more it close. I set When starting to default size also.

Name:	ScreenHunter_450 Dec. 23 00.47.jpg
Views:	12400
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	15339
    This screen size x1.0 100% was hard to find but is necessary for getting the resolution right. The other settings are you choice.

Name:	ScreenHunter_450 Dec. 23 00.48.jpg
Views:	12538
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	15340
    Aspect ratio shuld be set as above. Set this way my potplayer starts out at the video resolution and is adjustable but always maintains aspect ratio. Give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm still looking for help. I tried Budman1's settings and it isn't doing what I mentioned. I've tried various combinations without any luck.

To repeat what you suggested:

1) I set When Starting, Screen Status to default. I had it at "Last Size" before your advice.

2) I set Playback screen settings to x1.0 (100%)

3) I was already at Keep Aspect Ratio

The only real difference we had besides that was the "Adjust aspect ratio to window size" ... I tried both ways and still no luck.

Everything I try this way either keeps a playing file larger or makes it larger than the video's original resolution.

I appreciate any further help. Thanks Budman1 for trying to help me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OOps, my bad... forgot an important setting.

Name:	ScreenHunter_450 Dec. 23 20.28.jpg
Views:	11730
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	15358
    I reset all my settings and set just these and the ones in my earlier post and it plays with the video size equal to the resolution of the
    video and when I hit stiop it goes back to the 320x240 default size. Pause stays at video resolution size. I will add that for some reason, I change the settings and they do not change after I hit apply so I always close and reopen and check again to be sure. Also, some settings do not change until the Player is closed and reopened. I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. That did it! THANK YOU so much! I hope this helps others in the future as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey guys I did all that but what happens when the window size of the video is bigger than the resolution of the monitor? The window here covers the whole screen which but does not go beyond that? How do I make it such that the window covers the whole video even if it means going beyond the edges of the screen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you've used Window, Windows size, Screen and whole video interchangeably and they mean different things I believe. It sounds, to me anyway, like you have a DISPLAY with a RESOLUTION of 1920x1080 (for example) and you are trying to play a video with a resolution (Size) of say 2496x1404. PotPlayer normally stops at the screen resolution and actually displays the video on the Monitor as a 1920x1080 size video. Are you trying to display the video as if it is zoomed in to the center 1920x1080 and have the rest of the video off the screen?

Either way set the setting below indicated by arrow to 1.0 100% to not zoom in or Full SIZE to have to go off screen:

Name:	ScreenHunter_55 Jan. 26 10.20.jpg
Views:	11124
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	23133

Name:	ScreenHunter_55 Jan. 26 10.23.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	23134
    1.0 (100%)

Name:	ScreenHunter_56 Jan. 26 10.23.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	23135
    Full SIZE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well what I mean is this. I have a a monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 and I am trying to view a 2160p video just to try it out in it's original size. When I open it with vlc I right click the image select Video -> and untick "Always fit window" the resolution of the video becomes whatever x 2160 which results in a window so large than I see only a small portion of it on my screen and I have to drag it around. When I do all these steps in pot player the resolution becomes 2160p as well but the window only goes from one edge of the screen to the other. I'd like to somehow make the window of pot player go beyond the boundaries of the resolution of the monitor. Is that possible?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I guess it's by design.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Rather than make the Potplayer window match the video size, which I find monumentally annoying when it's wider than the screen, you could try this.....

I use MPC-HC and it seems to do the same thing.... the maximum window size is the size of the display, I can't seem to get it to do what VLC does and extend off the end of the screen.... which is unbelievably annoying anyway. However as huge chunks of Potplayer seem to be a MPC-HC rip off it'll probably have the same function. If you're at the stage where you've fiddled with settings enough to get the video to display at it's native resolution so you're only seeing a portion of it, rather than move the window around to see the rest of the video as you would with VLC, try moving the video around within the window. I assume that's the goal, to be able to look at the rest of the video in it's native resolution?

If so, the keys on the numeric keypad do the resizing and stretching for MPC-HC (the 5 key resets everything), but CTRL+"the numeric keys" moves the video left and right, up and down etc. So the Potplayer window would stay maximised while the video moves around within. Hopefully that'll work. If Potplayer doesn't use the same keyboard shortcuts by default as MPC-HC, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't, it should list the various keyboard shortcuts in it's options somewhere.
    The ability to move the video around might also depend on the renderer being used. The WMR9 and EVR (custom presenter in the case of MPC-HC) renderers should both let you do it. If you switch renderers you'll need to restart the player.

Here's the effect with MPC-HC displaying a 1080p video in it's native resolution using my CRT monitor. I've moved the video over to the right so you can see a black border on the left where the video ends.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	10608
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	23143

Same frame, this time the picture was moved to the left.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	10654
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	23144

Moving the video around that way is probably much easier than trying to drag a window around when it's a lot larger than the size of the display. I can't remember, but I think I might have mentioned how annoying that is.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 26th Jan 2014 at 22:49.
    Quote Quote