VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I capture the dv-AVI tapeI thru IEEE1394 and then I edit it.
    I want to save this edited movies to DV tape directly.
    I know it can do it by 1) save to another DV-avi file first and then 2) export the new DV-avi file back to the DV tape.
    However, my hard disk is not big enough for both original file & the edited file.
    Can I skip the process to hard disk?
    Which software can do it?

I use Ulead Media Pro & PowerDirector but they can do it directly.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you must save your edited video as a new dv avi file. once you have this new file, there is a lot of software that can send it back to the camera. DVIO is a great app and its free. as for your hard drive, make sure you delete anything you dont need. delete your temp files and internet files, backup any mp3's or other videos to cds, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. This would be tough to do because rendering with full DV framerate and quality is usually slower than realtime. You'll probably have to just save up for a new hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I use pinnacle studio 7, it is not the same but you can check if your software has the same option.
    Studio 7 has a "smartcapture" option where it caputers in a much smaller file (lower quality), that you can edit, then when it comes time to render it then takes the full quality off the tape in your camera, this save having two big files, now you have only one. Check and see if you have such an option on your software.
    cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Search Comp PM
    That surprises me that you can't do it. I am not familiar with your exact software, but most have a 'Print to Tape' option. The other option is this. Can you play the timeline and see it on the camera screen? If so, just record on the cam and play the timeline.

Ray The Video Guy - Host of 'I Want Video!' http://www.iwantvideo.tv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yim View Post
    I capture the dv-AVI tapeI thru IEEE1394 and then I edit it.
    I want to save this edited movies to DV tape directly.
    I know it can do it by 1) save to another DV-avi file first and then 2) export the new DV-avi file back to the DV tape.
    However, my hard disk is not big enough for both original file & the edited file.
    Can I skip the process to hard disk?
    Which software can do it?

I use Ulead Media Pro & PowerDirector but they can do it directly.
    Thanks.
    There is a way to do that if your edit program supports real time DV preview out the IEEE-1394 port (e.g. Premiere, Vegas, etc.). I'm not sure about Ulead Media Pro & PowerDirector.

What you would do is record the preview timeline playback with a DV camcorder. This only works if the editor supports DV "smart render" (i.e. simply copies input frames to output for unprocessed frames). Any processed frames would be rendered to tmp files, so in your case, you would limit processed files to transitions. The more frames you process, the faster your disk will fill with temp files. Simple cuts do not generate tmp files.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote