VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Dear Experts,

I have a AVerMedia USB TV Tuner, getting analog AV from Composite inputs.
    I am in Canada, the composite signal is from a STB box.

I created a Graph in GraphEdit and I can see Closed Caption with it. See the attached screen captures.

But it does not allow me to link CC from "VBI Codec" to "MainConcept MPEG-2 Video Encoder"
    Otherwise I would be able to record CC into MPEG after the encoder.

Is there a way to record the CC?
    Thanks very much for any help or info.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Play from Tuner - Fully Working 2.png
Views:	766
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	14731  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC display.png
Views:	1173
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	14732  

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried capture and used ccextractor after?

Or do you want capture and burn in it the captions directly?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It depends what is at the filter output pin - as Baldrick wrote - use ccextractor - there is lot of tools to perform various operations - in your case this will be or raw vbi or txt to cc conversion then cc embedded in mpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Since it won't let me connect the pin, CC will not be recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  5. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd388553%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

install this ( "dump.ax" ) filter and you should be able to record
    Quote Quote  
  6. .mpg can't contain something other tan A/V (correct me if i'm wrong) you'd need a .ts extension for cc's
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    .mpg can't contain something other tan A/V (correct me if i'm wrong) you'd need a .ts extension for cc's

cc are stored as user data in video elementary stream - thus video elementary stream can carry cc without any additional container (at least H.262 and H.264 - not sure about VC-1)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, you are wrong, TheMaster1. otherwise CCextractor would not exist.

The Dump.ax is the missing factor for the Graphedit function. I remember doing this with my ATI card but IIRC, I had to make two passes, one to record video, a second one for the Captions. I always converted to subtitles and authored, there are tools to use them as captions but somewhat limited support.

You may need some additional tools, McPoodle had a website where all of these were available. You may need to make a minor edit of the binary file created by Graphedit. (First four characters, really easy).
    Quote Quote  
  9. yardern: The first thing I would suggest if your capture card has a S-Video input and your STB has an S-Video output, take advantage of that. It will give you a sharper, higher quality picture to work with. I record with a Hauppauge 150 to get .mpeg2 files and I notice with MediaInfo that I have closed caption included in some of the files. What I tend to a lot of times now is drop my edited .mpeg2 files into Vidcoder and convert to h.264 .mkv files. I noticed under the Subtitle Option that a line shows up indicating that I can use the close caption that is in the .mpeg2 file as a subtitle. If it is a TV show, I tend not to use it as it can't seem to keep pace with the onscreen action or is jumbled up in the attempt. I find for longer files it works fine. I tend not to select any of the options like burning them in, I just select the subtitle in the software player, if I want to use it. I hope this information is of some help to you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think the MainConcept MPEG-2 Video Encoder filter is just a jerk.

Here is an example of a working graph using an ATI card, thanks to unusually_quiet for the image. Maybe you can install the ATI Catalyst software even without the card in order to get the codec.

Name:	Diamond 650 S-Video Capture Graph.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	14742

And here is an example from the SCC_TOOLS documentation showing an example of recording the closed captions to a separate file rather than embedded by the MPEG-2 encoder.

Name:	tvcapture_cc.gif
Views:	394
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	14743
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you all guys for helping.

vaporeon800: One of my computers has ATI TV Tuner, so I already have the encoder.
    I will try and report back.

Edit: Working! Thanks!

Last edited by yardern; 19th Nov 2012 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need to know if anybody knows how to capture in real time the close caption from the Hauppauge HVR 2250 without
    using ccextractor. If possible please include a graphedit thumbnail picture.

Thanks,

BOB
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am working on a project I need to capture 2 minute chunks of television free to air antenna data in real time from a Hauppauge HVR 2250.
    What I need is thumbnail pictures of graphedit and links to any codecs or ideas on how to accomplish what we need.
    We are using a Dell I5 computer.

You can also email me at rshapiro2@msn.com with any ideas.

Thanks,

Bob
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rshapiro View Post
    I am working on a project I need to capture 2 minute chunks of television free to air antenna data in real time from a Hauppauge HVR 2250.
    What I need is thumbnail pictures of graphedit and links to any codecs or ideas on how to accomplish what we need.
    We are using a Dell I5 computer.

You can also email me at rshapiro2@msn.com with any ideas.

Thanks,

Bob
    Make a new thread for this. https://forum.videohelp.com/forums/10-Capturing and click post new thread.
    Quote Quote