VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am hitting a brick wall and need some help.

I have some AVCHD files. They can be burned to disc but I want to load them on a hard drive and play them with my WDTV.
    I have searched on how to do this for a week. And I am about convinced that it is possible…but I somehow lost too many brain cells over the last year to figure out how.

I have tried about a dozen programs….none seem to really get me where I want to be.

The farthest I have been able to get is to get the MPLS file extracted out of the AVCHD disc image.
    I can not seem to extract the MKV video file from the MPLS file however.
    I am having a bit more luck getting the DTS out but even that appears to be hit/miss.

Can somebody help guide me through this?
    I have read a ton of how-to’s and none seem to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The largest .m2ts file in BDMV\STREAM folder is the main movie if it's not split up into dosins of small files, WDTV should play this .m2ts file, but not sure about Master Audio (DTS-HD/True-HD) support.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have some suggestions. As GeeForce11 said, it's been reported that you can directly play the .m2ts file(s), BUT...
    if, like me, you are interested in foreign films that require English subtitles and you don't speak the language the film is in, I don't there is any way for the WDTV to display the subs this way.

HD audio formats are reported to NOT be supported by the WDTV. You'll have to convert to DTS or AC3 or extract those cores if you can. I discourage use of DTS as it takes a lot of processing power and having to decode DTS plus high def video may cause the player to stutter. Or it may not. You'll have to test. I can tell you that AC3 works fine with high def video on the player.

My basic plan is to use eac3to to extract the DTS or AC3 core, if necessary, and convert DTS to AC3 using eac3to. Then I demux the video and subtitles (if you have them). I have to use SupRip to get the subtitles into SRT format, then I have to edit that because the final subtitle time is always wrong in what SupRip produces (it uses an end code of all zeroes, which is wrong) and it causes some MKV programs to choke. Then I use MKVtoolnix to mux the video, AC3 audio and subs together into an MKV container that the WDTV will play.

There may be other ways but this works for me. There are guides to using eac3to on the internet. I believe I use tsmuxer to demux the files and there are guides for that too. Anyway, here's a guide that might be useful to you.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/10263051/How-to-Rip-Video-Audio-and-Subtitles-From-BluRay-Discs
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would not get the WDTV. it's still in early state.

Get the HD players from DATOptic.com

They bundle with software and instruction of how to convert BR to MKV, TS or even DIVX
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shills for Popcorn Hour and other competing players need to stop crapping on the WD TV threads. The question is about getting files to work with the WD TV, not alternatives (which are triple the price of an already purchased solution).

If you like them so much, start a new thread, or post a review somewhere else.

Just like you wouldn't (shouldn't) go into a thread titled "How do I change the tires on my Honda Civic?" and post "Get a real car, like a Corvette or Mustang!"
    Quote Quote