VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a video on my youtube page that is a tribute to Ray Harryhausen. It's a collection of clips from "Clash of the Titans" and "Jason and the Argonauts" while the Anthrax song "Medusa" plays as a soundtrack. A few weeks back I noticed that two buttons had appeared on the page. One for Amazon.com and the other for Itunes if you wanted to buy the song "Medusa".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyvbZwPiWtQ (for the curious/interested)

Then someone asked me to send them a copy of the video because YouTube was blocking it in their country. (I did not do it, natch!) When I looked into it, UMG was claiming copyright of the song and was blocking it in certain countries. In addition, they retain the right to collect data from the page (ages of viewers, male/female, etc.) and reserve the right to advertise on the page... hence the buttons for amazon and itunes. I had the right to dispute the claim...blahblahblah

I am NOT complaining. I figured if there was a problem with me using the music (which is duly credited at the end of the video), they'd simply remove the video and give me a warning... instead, they put up links so people could buy the music if they're interested. It kind of sucks that they block some countries, but considering how ridiculous people can get (cough*metallica*cough) I figure they're being pretty cool about the whole thing. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I off my nut?
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's YouTube policy that the copyright owner, if he wants to do anything at all, has 3 choices:
    What kinds of usage policies are there?
    There are three usage policies -- Block, Track or Monetize. If a rights owner specifies a Block policy, the video will not be viewable on YouTube. If the rights owner specifies a Track policy, the video will continue to be made available on YouTube and the rights owner will receive information about the video, such as how many views it receives. For a Monetize policy, the video will continue to be available on YouTube and ads will appear in conjunction with the video. The policies can be region-specific, so a content owner can allow a particular piece of material in one country and block the material in another.
    http://help.youtube.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=83766&topic=13656

Also, you may find this video interesting, particularly in regard to UMG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS1z30LnWgE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Having participated in many discussions of MP3 trading, many people feel that the rampant trading of MP3s is like free advertising. (Not me, personally, but many people)

Traditionally, the music companies have disagreed, but it appears as though UMG is starting to lean towards that opinion, because that's essentially what they've done with my video on YouTube.

The ones that get removed... are they non-UMG titles? Is it because they didn't give credit to the bands in the video? It makes me curious why some videos disappear completely while others are allowed to stay.

I followed the link and watched the video. I feel much like the video poster does... but over in the "related videos" column, people are complaining about the practice. It only heightens my curiosity about why some get removed and some are allowed to stay...
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote