VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear everyone!

I am very new to everything and I hope too I am placing this under the correct subforum. I hope too someone can help me find a solution to what I want I will try to be as succinct as possible. Not long ago I installed K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1120_Mega and I always use FFDSHOW for everything. Also IDX and SUB subtitles through subtitles tab under FFDSHOW. Worked like a charm.

Until I installed older software like AutoGK 2.55 and GorionKnotRipPack0.35.2. Something must have happened here that made IDX and SUB files not work anymore. Strangely, they STILL DO WORK under the x64 bit version of MPC-HC with FFDSHOW. But it fails to load under the 32-Bit version, that I use most. I get "Unexpected Error" message and it's telling me MPC has crashed etc etc. At the very moment I untick subtitles under FFDSHOW or only just VobSub under Subtitles (leaving subtitles enabled) it will stop working and give me above error. This wasn't before.

I have to note though that normal .srt files work flawlessly both under 32 and 64 bit versions of MPC-HC and FFDSHOW. Only the 32-bit version of FFDSHOW combined with IDX and SUB (either RARRED or UNRARRED doesn't matter I already tried that too) files stopped working.

I already uninstalled K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1120 Mega completely and even installed the latest 1130 Mega Codec Pack that was just released but that sadly didn't improve anything.

Anyone has had this before and knows the solution? I will be very happy when this works again!

Have a nice day everyone!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. First uninstall ALL Codec Packs, VobSub or FFDSHOW
    You don't need them anymore, they make only problems
    players MPC-HC or VLC have built-in codecs to play files with IDX or SRT subtitles
    Second to convert files use Handbrake or VidCoder
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for replying so quickly roma_turok! It's most appreciated!

In despite what you advised me to do I do remember I already uninstalled everything once. But I am not sure if there are left-overs after all uninstallations that can still cause problems? I hope not to go back to an older image because it's over a month old and it means I will need to re-install a lot of things...

It would be most welcome if someone knows an immediate answer as to how to fix the idx and sub files to work again under the 32-bit mpc-hc with ffdshow... I get a feeling it's not much but just that small "something" I don't know about is the key to solving this problem...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Again, you don't need ffdshow to see subtitles in MPC-HC
    MPC-HC can display IDX subtitles
    Do you run version 1.7.9 ?
    what output DirectShow Video selected on MPC-HC option?:

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	32779
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes 1.7.9.76 to be exact. I understand you try to help me and I appreciate it but I actually wish to stay with FFDSHOW and MPC-HC for specific reasons. I am very much wondering if there is someone who can explain me exactly what is happening during the crash.

This is my MPC-HC 32-bit version:

Name:	MPC-HC 32-Bit Version 1.7.9.76.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	32786

and the error screen I get with it happens only with VobSub enabled under subtitles in FFDSHOW...

Name:	MPC-HC 32-Bit Version 1.7.9.76 + ffdshow & VobSub enabled under subtitles tab error.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	32787

I wish it could be fixed as it always worked before flawlessly under 32 bit.

So whenever I don't load idx and sub files it works still well with ffdshow.

Name:	ffdshow vobsub crash during when enabled and loading idx and sub files.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	32788

But what CAUSED this not to work anymore in the first place? As it did work before I am knowing for sure it can work again... just how is the question.... is it MPC-HC 32-bit related or ffdshow x86 or a combination of both? I wonder why this worked before and not now... I always like to find answers.

Thanks for your help anyway!
    Quote Quote  
  6. EDIT: I already solved it myself (Applause to myself hehe)

I managed to discover that the AutoGK 2.55 and GordianKnotRipPack installers put VobSub 2.23 (very VERY old) plugins in the wrong directory. In SysWOW64 instead of System32. Now it works flawlessly again. I am happy now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm curious
    what benefit using FFDSHOW instead built-in subtitle reader of MPC-HC?
    Quote Quote  
  8. You might as well be right roma_turok. It's mainly also my stubbornness that just wants to get it to work again the way I used to.
    I never used it the way you advised me to do but I might as well try this way now as well to see how that goes. Never tried it yet.

Btw it DOES indeed show that what you have shown in the picture of your previous post. It's all green marked as well. How does MPC-HC load the idx and sub files then? Do I need to give these files the exact name of the avi, mp4 or mkv that I wish to play?
    Quote Quote  
  9. IDX and SUB files need exact name as the video file
    right click on video window
    select Subtitle Track -> Enable
    again right click Subtitle Track -> select language
    subtitle also displayed better quality than FFDSHOW:

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	32805
    Quote Quote