VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    OpenCandy can be annoying, yes, but it's avoidable and given that you can do so then there's no reason to ditch MediaInfo, IMHO. It's simply too useful and I don't think other similar programs come close.
    When you install MediaInfo (the normal way) there is no option to deselect this crap, people are forced to install this.
    That is unethical.
    Actually, no.

I highly suggest reading the OpenCandy FAQ on their website because it spells everything right out in black and white: http://opencandy.com/faqs/.

OpenCandy is merely is extracted from the installer of software like MediaInfo, contacts the OpenCandy site for information on what to recommend, receives the information back and gives you an option to install another program, you give an answer, and then when the installer finishes OpenCandy is gone. Poof.

You can edit your HOSTS file, use Unchecky, use Malwarebytes, manually decline, use the /NOCANDY switch, etc. All are basic. OpenCandy is not insideous or unethical in any sense. It couldn't be any more upfront and does nothing without permission. People simply need to learn to READ and not blindly click on YES for everything.

Note: The only part about OpenCandy that I find annoying is that it adds an extra step during the install process to decline. This is where the methods or bypassing it are useful. Other than that I have zero issues with it. I'd rather a developer use OpenCandy in their freeware app than use some truly nefarious garbage that installs things that you cannot remove.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    OpenCandy is merely is extracted from the installer of software like MediaInfo, contacts the OpenCandy site for information on what to recommend, receives the information back and gives you an option to install another program, you give an answer, and then when the installer finishes OpenCandy is gone. Poof.
    Merely.......

Crapware remains crapware even when some people try to put lipstick on it!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Merely.......

Crapware remains crapware even when some people try to put lipstick on it!
    And, you can't seem to accept the reality of how OpenCandy works. I've given you information and options but that still doesn't satisfy you. <SHRUG> Whatever. Enjoy complaining.

EOT
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
    Just in passing, if you install MediaInfo and also have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware installed, you will get a popup from MBAM during the installation about detecting OpenCandy. As usual, the MBAM dialog allows accept once, make a permanent exclusion, or quarantine, as the three action options you can take.

I simply push the QUARANTINE button, which prevents OpenCandy from running. Thus QUARANTINE eliminates OpenCandy from the installation which then proceeds normally and simply installs the underlying MediaInfo product itself. OpenCandy is vaporized.
    I had just used Malwarebytes a day or two ago but the installer must've killed Malwarebytes (that's what malware/virus does, turns off your protection) because I got no warning and had to reinstall Malwarebytes to get rid of OpenCandy.

The guy is a low life to remove the opt out and force everyone that uses his program to install malware. Someone needs to come up with an alternative and this guy's software needs to be banned.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    OpenCandy has been discussed many times here. Block their servers in your hosts file and you won't get any of their malware.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356775-What-s-Happened-To-Imgburn?p=2248350&viewful...=1#post2248350

Or disconnect from the internet before starting the install program.
    This needs to be listed on the down load page then and instructions on where to get the hosts file and how to install it or at least a link to the Hosts file website...

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I use the Hosts file and update it regularly but had no idea that you could block a file on your computer from installing malware.

EDIT: I just checked and I already had those opencandy lines in my hosts file and it didn't stop opencandy from getting onto my machine.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 14th Jan 2015 at 00:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It doesn't stop it from getting into your machine, it stops it from connecting to anywhere beyond your PC.

A hosts file is like an internal DNS server (translating alpha domains to IP # addresses), and setting a site or domain to 127.0.0.1 forces it to look no further than your own PC. And since it has highest priority, it cannot be overridden unless the hosts file is rewritten (or unless the software accesses the IP # address directly).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    And a related question:
    Since you can enable the right-click extension in a portable version, why would anyone want/need an installer version?
    To install the AdWare?

I'd guess that's why you've got to hunt for the portable version a little (it's not immediately obvious there is one when viewing the main MediaInfo website). They'd probably prefer you to use the installer, but at least there's an alternative.

A related question:
    Despite what the name seems to imply, I can't get MediaInfoXP to run on XP. I've tried two different XP computers. Double clicking on MediaInfoXP.exe results in a whole lot of nothing. I've tried putting a shortcut in the Windows SendTo folder but that doesn't work either. I can't seem to get the GUI to run. Am I missing the exceedingly obvious?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It doesn't stop it from getting into your machine, it stops it from connecting to anywhere beyond your PC.

A hosts file is like an internal DNS server (translating alpha domains to IP # addresses), and setting a site or domain to 127.0.0.1 forces it to look no further than your own PC. And since it has highest priority, it cannot be overridden unless the hosts file is rewritten (or unless the software accesses the IP # address directly).

Scott
    Thanks! So as long as it has no way to access the internet then it is no threat.

It must've just been a coincidence but MPC-HC started freezing on me and after uninstalling and re-installing MPC-HC, I lost all my thumbnails. Now I'll need to get that straightened out. I should've just left everything alone. There wasn't anything wrong with the version that I had. It supported all the file types I use.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    Thanks! So as long as it has no way to access the internet then it is no threat.
    The installer for MediaInfo (or whatever program you're installing) only contains a small bit of code from OpenCandy. That code downloads/installs malware from OpenCandy's servers. If they can't find their servers they can't download anything from them. It's always possible that they will add more server names in the future so it may be necessary to update the list occasionally.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've used the hosts file from mvps for years and update it religiously. It was on a different address than winhelp2000 back then but it was the same website.

Fritz mentioned using the portable version but I couldn't do anything with my portable version without using command line which I never tried. I downloaded the non installer version and everything is fine now. Have my right click option and got my thumbnails working again if I choose to use them with Codec Tweak Tool.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    Fritz mentioned using the portable version but I couldn't do anything with my portable version without using command line
    Navigate to the folder and run MediaInfo.exe. Select Options -> Preferences -> Setup. Enable the "Explorer extensions..." option. Also "Explorer Tooltip..." if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I already deleted the portable version. It was pretty old. I double clicked the exe file though and it just flashed the black cmd box like cli encoders do without a command. I'll just remember to always download the non-installer version.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I double clicked the exe file though and it just flashed the black cmd box like cli encoders do without a command.
    I think you downloaded the CLI version, not the GUI version.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    I double clicked the exe file though and it just flashed the black cmd box like cli encoders do without a command.
    I think you downloaded the CLI version, not the GUI version.
    No, I already had the portable version in my unzipped folder where I keep all of my programs that don't go to Program Files or Program Files (x86). I first downloaded the Direct Link which had the adware. I thought I was updating the version in my Program Files folder. I got rid of that and chose Old Versions which led me to the newest version without the installer (MediaInfo_GUI_0.7.72_Windows_x64_WithoutInstaller). This version works fine.

There should be a direct link to this file on the download page instructing people to download this version to avoid opencandy.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    (MediaInfo_GUI_0.7.72_Windows_x64_WithoutInstaller). This version works fine.

There should be a direct link to this file on the download page instructing people to download this version to avoid opencandy.
    There is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mi.png
Views:	197
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	29728
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright. I didn't know that until I highlighted the link.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by HemLok View Post
    Actually, no.

I highly suggest reading the OpenCandy FAQ on their website because it spells everything right out in black and white: http://opencandy.com/faqs/.

You can edit your HOSTS file, use Unchecky, use Malwarebytes, manually decline, use the /NOCANDY switch, etc. All are basic. OpenCandy is not insideous or unethical in any sense. It couldn't be any more upfront and does nothing without permission. People simply need to learn to READ and not blindly click on YES for everything.
    Like hell it is ethical. No-one should do any of this crap just to install software. Why do you try to protect something that sucks.

Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Yes, I noticed that too.

Anyone knows of a good open source alternative?
    Mediainfoxp.
    That uses mediainfo...
    But anyway. If there's a comparable alternative tool out there that someone knows about, I'd like to know about it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    That uses mediainfo...
    But anyway. If there's a comparable alternative tool out there that someone knows about, I'd like to know about it.
    MediaInfo. The portable version doesn't require installing and therefore there's no OpenCandy
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    MediaInfo. The portable version doesn't require installing and therefore there's no OpenCandy
    That's only been mentioned about a dozen times already in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Not to mention it's tha same tool...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    Not to mention it's tha same tool...
    It's the same tool? Who'd have guessed?
    I thought the objection to MediaInfo was the extras that might install with it for users with an inability to check what they're clicking on when they install software, hence the suggestion to use the portable version as an alternative with no OpenCandy. Did that really require further explaining? I guess so.....

I'm fully aware the portable version has been mentioned. I've previously mentioned it. Pardon me for trying to be helpful in case not everyone had read the earlier posts or waded through the newpball distractions.

Don't use the portable version if you don't like MediaInfo. Use the non-existent alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Don't act so hurt. I explicitly asked about an alternative and you responded to use what I already use.
    Quote Quote  
  23. The portable version is an alternative to the installed version. Why do I have to keep explaining that?
    Quote Quote  
  24. How long will it be before the portable release starts installing malware each time you start it?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Is there any indication it will, or there's plans to do so?

The portable version has always included a small advert at the top of the GUI..... well at least as for as long as I can remember.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mediainfo.gif
Views:	365
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	31996

There's also a link when you open the MediaInfo "About" page but it's so unobtrusive I can live with it for free software. In fact it's so unobtrusive I think I used MediaInfo for years before I realised it was a link to a third party web site and not a site owned the the author of MediaInfo.

I don't quite understand the fuss. It's still easy enough to "install" MediaInfo without the OpenCandy offer if you take the time to pay attention to what you're clicking on when you install the program (or simply disconnect from the internet while installing), and I'm pretty sure even if you don't manage that, it's always easy enough to un-install the OpenCandy software later without it affecting MediaInfo's ability to work. It's just something the author feels he needs to do in order to make it worthwhile to continue to support free software, and while in a perfect world all software would be free with no strings attached, in our imperfect world it doesn't seem particularly unethical to me.

Compare that do downloading an ad-supported "app" for an android device.....
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    The portable version is an alternative to the installed version. Why do I have to keep explaining that?
    Apparently you're thick headed...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by mzso View Post
    The portable version is an alternative to the installed version. Why do I have to keep explaining that?
    Apparently you're thick headed...
    Apparently you're compressionally retarded.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ffprobe is an alternative. Command line tool though....
    Quote Quote