VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Group, This involves a Seagate Barracuda drive. Barracuda 7200.9 - Bought a few years ago. SATA

Here is what happened..........

I had been running the drive in the main computer for about a year. I then put th3 drive in storage. Went to retrieve some music videos and the drive was DEAD...! The system would NOT recognize the drive...!

Windows drive management would NOT recognize the drive. I spent several days trying to recover the drive without any success.

I thought that all was LOST....! And that I would NOT see those music Videos ever again. I then recalled an article (??) (NOT SURE) from this forum many years ago about FREEZING (yes freezing) troublesome drives..!

I thought that I'd give it a try...!

I kept the drive in the freezer for 5 months. (only because I forgot about the drive). I removed the drive (today) and after a good thaw, I hooked in the drive to my secondary computer and HOLLY MOLLY - - - - - I was able to use a MOVE/COPY utility to transfer all the files to a Newer drive...! Oh.... WOW For me and my files...!

I thought that I read about freezing hard drives in this forum many years ago - and it worked WONDERFULLY...!

Tug_Hill2
    Reach for the Starz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Usually you don't want to unthaw them, just go from the freezer directly to the PC. I think the theory is that the parts in the drive shrink slightly with the cold, allowing the drive to spin again. If so, as soon as it warms up, it would quit again. And two hours in the freezer is usually enough.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you search this forum, I've made comments about freezing a drive.
    It doesn't work all the time, and it's one of those unproven last gasps at recovering data

BTW, I leave them frozen when trying to recover data.
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote