VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Quick synopsys is that I want to know if there is off the shelf hardware (cables or adapters) that will allow me to "fake out" the Hot Plug detect so that it appears a monitor is at the end of cable even if one is not there. Details of why I want to do this are below.

I have a system that can use up to 8 additional monitors (that is in addition the main video output) using a Quadro NVS card. This card has a DVI output and then we use a DVI to HDMI cable to drive up to 8 large monitors that are (could be) located in different areas. We have a custom software setup to direct different graphics to different screens that is pertinent to the area that each screen is in.

The problem we are having is if a monitor fails to be detected (due to any reason ... bad cable, monitor was turned off, monitor failed) then all of the information from that monitor and each one "up stream" of the failed monitors (as defined an our software) shifts to the next highest monitor and info that is supposed to be on the highest number monitor is not displayed at all. This obviously puts information on incorrect monitors.

What I would like to know is if if there is off the shelf hardware (either a HDMI cable, DVI cable, DVI to HDMI cable, or an adapter of any of those types) that has the hot plug pin jumpered (or connected in such a way) that even if there is no monitor connected the PC will detect that a monitor is connected.

Using an adapter would be my prefered way to do this. There may be a way to detect the loss of a monitor in SW and ignore it, but we have not been able to determine this as yet, and quite honestly dont want to modify our software and have to requalify/retest it to achieve this.

I suppose I can build my own if I have to, but I had much rather purchase something off the shefl that will do this.

Thanks,

JSUM
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Intresting...
    In the EEVblog on youtube there was mention of someone who designed a so called 'DVI hot plug detect spoofer'

Check this recent episode EEVblog #592 - Mailbag, the DVI spoofer is featured at 19:40
    Quote Quote  
  3. "Intresting...
    In the EEVblog on youtube there was mention of someone who designed a so called 'DVI hot plug detect spoofer'"

Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking would be needed. I just wasnt sure if that was all it woudl take.

On another note, it never ceases to amaze me what the internet has done for engineers and other information seekers. Who would have thought that obscure info such as you provided could be available to me in less than an hour (okay 2 hours) with just a few taps of the keyboard. It's mind boggling. Makes me wonder how we got by in the "old days".

Thanks so much for your insight.
    Quote Quote