VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys, I'm looking at converting video that is not HD such as old basketball games for example, to look similar to how ESPN has done with old videos... where the bars on both sides of the video are basically the same video stretched all the way to the edge and then blurred. I'm open to using any programs on Windows 7, because I have several videos to work with... I think it gives these videos a more professional look than just two big black bars on the sides.

The WWE also has done this alot, and that's the best youtube example I could find...

Here you go:

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can do this with avisynth or practically any video editor. You just have to remember if you are working in square pixels or not (for web, it will be square pixel)

The basic approach is to 1st resize in square pixel equivalents, then crop the video so you have the left side remaining (call this left) , crop so you have the right (call this right), and blur them, then assemble left, main, right

An example of the code you might use in avsiynth

Code:
    MPEG2Source("video.d2v")
    LanczosResize(640,480)
    main=last

left=main.crop(0,0,-536,0,true).averageblur(7,7,3,3,3)
    right=main.crop(536,0,0,0,true).averageblur(7,7,3,3,3)

StackHorizontal(left, main, right)
    The 4:3 NTSC video displays as 640x480 on square pixel displays (like PC), the 16:9 NTSC equivalent would be about 848x480. 848-640 = 208, or 104 for each side. 640-104 = 536 which is the crop value

Personally, I think black bars looks far better, and more professional
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1111.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	2259  

Quote Quote  
  3. can you direct me to any tutorials? I would prefer a program that doesn't use scripts, because I'm a newb to the core. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. hmmm.... it's a bit of a learning curve at first, but really simple and intuitive for things like this. The best place to start is here
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page#New_to_AviSynth_-_start_here

I'm trying to think of other free/easy to use programs but they won't be able to combine or "stack" the left, middle, and right very easily. You'll have each section separate

Do you have access to any other programs or editors?
    Quote Quote  
  5. If I find a program that will do all that I need from this, I would be willing to buy it. So anything is possible.
    Quote Quote  
  6. To be honest, it's actually easier to do in avisynth, then dedicated video editors like vegas, premiere etc... This is coming from someone who hates code and command line usage. I'd much prefer a drop & drag GUI. The approach is the same either way. That youtube video is just taking the Left and Right borders and appending them to the sides with a blur

Wait for others to reply, they might have easier/better suggestions

Also, what are your input formats, and what is your final goal ? (e.g. are you planning on putting this on youtube, a DVD etc....) ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Personally, I think black bars looks far better, and more professional
    Quite agree - I'm beginning to see this used on Spanish TV when showing 4:3 clips during a 16:9 broadcast, and to my eyes it looks awful.

You can reduce the levels of the background to make it less intrusive, eg.
    Code:
    left=main.crop(0,0,-536,0,true).averageblur(7,7,3,3,3).Levels(16,1.0,235,16,128)
    right=main.crop(536,0,0,0,true).averageblur(7,7,3,3,3).Levels(16,1.0,235,16,128)
    Note also that averageblur is not a built-in Avisynth filter; a separate plugin is needed.

If using another editor (without stacking capabilities), it could be done by overlaying the 4:3 image centrally on a stretched and blurred copy of itself, equivalent to the Avisynth code:
    Code:
    MPEG2Source("video.d2v")
    LanczosResize(640,480)
    main=last

BilinearResize(848,480).averageblur(7,7,3,3,3).Levels(16,1.0,235,16,128)
    Overlay(main, 104, 0)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm going to be putting these on DVD. The originals are coming from old VHS, some dvd, and some others that are just random sources.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thx for the tips Gavino

Quite right about it being a separate function I should have mentioned that - I tried using the built in blur(), but it just didn't cut it even after several instances. I believe it's part of variableblur.dll

Yeah, I guess it's personal preference about pillarbox vs. "repeated blurred edge"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jr87 View Post
    I'm going to be putting these on DVD. The originals are coming from old VHS, some dvd, and some others that are just random sources.
    You'll probably want to use a NLE (non linear editor) like vegas pro, premiere pro . Most editors will be able to do these simple manipulations and much more. Unfortunately , they are not free, but at least you have no code to fiddle with

I haven't really used movie maker that much, but it comes with windows, not sure if it can do simple overlays or stack videos
    Quote Quote  
  11. i doubt moviemaker would work out. now if i can find a tutorial to get started, i'd be set
    Quote Quote  
  12. Rather than blurring use BilinearResize() twice -- once to a small image, then to a larger background image, then overlay the original in the middle.

But I agree, the technique is ugly and distracting. Not quite as bad as a nonlinear stretch though!
    Quote Quote  
  13. well since you don't think this technique is good. What are my options? I really do not like black side bars, but I'm open to ideas. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Rather than blurring use BilinearResize() twice -- once to a small image, then to a larger background image, then overlay the original in the middle.
    Here's the result, also with levels adjustment, applied to poisondeathray's image using:
    Code:
    main=last
    BilinearResize(80,60).BilinearResize(848,480).Levels(16,1.0,235, 16,128)
    Overlay(main, 104, 0)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1111a.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	2260  

Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jr87 View Post
    well since you don't think this technique is good. What are my options? I really do not like black side bars, but I'm open to ideas. Thanks.
    Black bars is my favorite (or some decorative still image, if appropriate). Maybe mirror image the edges?

Just tried it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2261

Not too bad in a still frame but it's terrible in motion.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jun 2010 at 20:21.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I agree with those above that say the blurred movement at the sides is ugly. That YouTube video linked at the top is horrible looking, in my opinion. Where I live, on the Hi-Def channels, when the news is showing 4:3 video they have a decorative still image at the sides, as jagabo suggested above. It doesn't look bad. I'd make one at 848x480 or thereabouts and lay the video on top. Or, if you don't like black bars, use bars of a different color. Using AviSynth of course. Then resize for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  17. so is avisynth the only program you would recommend? I kinda like a mix of the mirrored edges, but the darker blur, probably a little darker still.
    Quote Quote  
  18. avisynth is the only free one, you can do all of the above in a NLE like vegas pro, premiere pro, etc...
    Quote Quote  
  19. where can I find some tutorials for vegas pro? I think it looks like the program I would like to learn how to use.
    Quote Quote  
  20. i see basic tutorials on this site, but can someone please point me into a direction of this exact issue I need help with in Vegas Pro? If so, thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Vegas you would do a wide stretch as a backgound 16:9 layer with a centered 4:3 layer on top.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  22. Have you worked with Vegas? How exactly could I do something similar to what they are showing in the thread? It is like a mirrored bar that is blurred and is darker than the original footage. Sorry for so many questions, I am just totally new to this, and would like to understand it. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jr87 View Post
    well since you don't think this technique is good. What are my options? I really do not like black side bars, but I'm open to ideas.
    An example of still filler image suitable for movies: imitation of film perforation on black(ish) BG.
    Quote Quote  
  24. If you really MUST have something down the two sides (and I REALLY wouldn't!) then what about the logos of either the league or federation that the match is a part of (sorry, I'm in the UK and we don't use quite the same terms over here) or of the two teams themselves? At least that would be relevant.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I have over 50 videos that need this done. Therefore, I would like to make a generic setup to where I can get through these as fast as I can.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Adobe After Effects could could place one video over and other and resize the top layer to have less width than the bottom and use effect -> distort - > magnify and set blending mode to "hard light". Change the shape to "square" You would also need to increase the magnification to something like 110, or 120 (whatever suits you) and the size to encompass the entire bottom layer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have Vegas then this is easy.

Create a new project with 16:9 properties.
    Import your footage onto the first timeline. You should now have 4:3 footage in a 16:9 frame, with black pillar bars.
    Duplicate this footage (right-click on the track header and select Duplicate Track). You should now have two copies of the video.
    Click Track Motion on the lower track. Enlarge the frame of the lower track until it covers the black pillar bars.
    Click Track Events and add a Gaussian Blur and a Brightness and Contrast event. Adjust the blur amount and the brightness until you are happy with the pillar bars.

You can now replace the video with any video, and it will automatically set the Track Effects correctly. You will have to Track Motion each time, as this seems to go when the video changes on the track. However this still only takes 30 seconds to build from scratch if necessary.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  28. thanks guns1inger, that seems easy enough. thanks everyone for the help!
    Quote Quote