VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi people!

I have a few issues with VirtualDub and codecs that I cannot figure out.

32 bit or 64 bit issue

I run Win8 (64) on a 64 bit system but according to http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/ the 32-bit version is recommended for both 32 and 64 bit systems. Is there any reason I should go for the 64-bit version? I run a lot of 64-bit programmes, such as Premiere Elements. Would it present any problems if I run a video file in VirtualDub which has previously been altered with a 64-bit software?

Codec issue:

After installing VirtualDub and various codecs I’m still having difficulties running certain files, even .avi.
    Here is one of the error messages I keep getting:

Couldn’t locate decompressor for format 'DX50' (unknown)
    VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

I’ve downloaded DivX and ffdshow codecs, but I'm not sure if it matters where I install all these codecs? When I open the Compression window under the Video tab in VirtualDub none of the codecs are represented.

To make things easier for myself I've created a folder named "Video tools" under Programs (x86). In this folder I've created sub folders for VirtualDub, AVIsynth and a special folder for all codecs. Or do I need to install them in a different directory for VirtualDub and and other programmes to be able identify them?

Also, I’ve read somewhere that I might need to manipulate the VFW settings for ffdshow to make things work, but I’m not sure how and what to change in those settings. I would appreciate if someone could show me the accurate procedure.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After some research it seems "DX50" refers to DivX5 and according to Mediainfo DivX seems to be the same as MPEG-4. However, I'm still not sure how to make VirtualDub identify this codec, or even if it can handle it. If this is true, is there any way I can tell VirtualDub how to open it, maybe with some Avisynth script or so?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I was going to say,

"in ffdshow video encoder applet, Decoder tab, enable DivX 4/5/6",

but now I see you have Windows 8

I think Xvid can be configured to accept the DX50 FourCC though

EDIT: make sure you're using 32-bit VirtualDub and 32-bit ffdshow,

[r4525]
    Label VFW Interface as "not compatible with Windows 8" in the installer of x64 builds. Also remove VFW for existing installs.

[r4517]
    Only hide config shortcut for VFW interface on Windows 8 x64 (because it crashes) instead of disallowing VFW install.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 3rd Apr 2014 at 04:11. Reason: edit
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    I was going to say,

"in ffdshow video encoder applet, Decoder tab, enable DivX 4/5/6",

but now I see you have Windows 8
    I forgot to mention that I'm currently sitting at a Win7 PC trying the same procedure as with my Win8 PC.

I think Xvid can be configured to accept the DX50 FourCC though

EDIT: make sure you're using 32-bit VirtualDub and 32-bit ffdshow,
    [r4525]
    Label VFW Interface as "not compatible with Windows 8" in the installer of x64 builds. Also remove VFW for existing installs.

[r4517]
    Only hide config shortcut for VFW interface on Windows 8 x64 (because it crashes) instead of disallowing VFW install.
    [/QUOTE]

For some reason VirtualDub now can open the MPEG-4/DX50 coded files. I downloaded the latest version of ffdshow. But I still cannot see ffdshow under "Select video Compression" in VirtualDub.

Thanks for your input El Heggunte
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MrTemplar View Post

For some reason VirtualDub now can open the MPEG-4/DX50 coded files. I downloaded the latest version of ffdshow. But I still cannot see ffdshow under "Select video Compression" in VirtualDub.
    But even if you could see it, probably it wouldn't be very-useful to you, because currently ffdshow offers only 4 options to compress video (FFV1, HuffYUV, DV, and Motion JPEG).

Since you're on a Windows 7 setup, you'd better go with the real thing, regarding MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (i.e., install Xvid ---freeware--- or DivX ---payware and bloatware--- ).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MrTemplar View Post
    Is there any reason I should go for the 64-bit version?
    Hi. This issue of whether to use the 32 or 64 bit version of VirtualDub is one which came up for me a little while back. Although I am running Win7 x64 I still use the 32 bit version of VirtualDub because I have never found a reason not to, but also because when I tried the 64-bit version I found that not all the filters I wanted were available. A little research explained that most V-Dub filters only come in a 32-bit version so, for me, V-Dub-32 does everything I want and offers me greater choices in what I can do with it.

However, I also found it was fine to have both versions installed alongside each other so if I ever come across a reason to need V-Dub-64 I've still got it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MarylinC View Post
    Originally Posted by MrTemplar View Post
    Is there any reason I should go for the 64-bit version?
    Hi. This issue of whether to use the 32 or 64 bit version of VirtualDub is one which came up for me a little while back. Although I am running Win7 x64 I still use the 32 bit version of VirtualDub because I have never found a reason not to, but also because when I tried the 64-bit version I found that not all the filters I wanted were available. A little research explained that most V-Dub filters only come in a 32-bit version so, for me, V-Dub-32 does everything I want and offers me greater choices in what I can do with it.

However, I also found it was fine to have both versions installed alongside each other so if I ever come across a reason to need V-Dub-64 I've still got it.
    Thanks MarylinC. I didn't realise that but I was actually wondering whether or not it would be possible to run bot versions alongside each other, so thanks for sharing this insight.

I have downloaded the 32-bit version, because as you are saying, there seems to be more filters available for this version.
    Quote Quote