VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I've seen some excellent advice here about improving video and I was wondering if anything at all can be done with the source video I have.

I received this stuff digitised from an Uncle who has since passed on. There is no knowledge left of the the location of the original film.

I've posted a small clip up on RapidShare if somebody would like to give opinions.

http://rapidshare.com/files/82801460/Super8clip.m2v.html

(And if anybody is interested, the little brat is me)

Thanks in advance,

Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is alot that can be done with Super8 film. Once digitized it is locked to the capture quality.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So it went Super8 > VHS > digital?

Just enjoy it as it is, or use some VHS noise removal / improvement tools (careful not to make it worse!). The Avisynth HDRAGC tool might be able to tame some of the more contrasty scenes, but might be a lot of effort for little improvement.

A cautionary tale for everyone else: keep the original film.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided
    So it went Super8 > VHS > digital?

Just enjoy it as it is, or use some VHS noise removal / improvement tools (careful not to make it worse!). The Avisynth HDRAGC tool might be able to tame some of the more contrasty scenes, but might be a lot of effort for little improvement.

A cautionary tale for everyone else: keep the original film.

Cheers,
    David.
    Thanks David,

Yes, I believe that it did go Super8 > VHS > digital, but that was well before I got hold of it.

I was thinking of at least cropping some of the nastiness off all 4 sides, but I'll also take a look at HDRAGC.

Point taken about the original film, last they were seen was around 10 years ago (and 9,000 miles away from me).

Thanks,

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    There is alot that can be done with Super8 film. Once digitized it is locked to the capture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kiwiusa
    Hi all,

I've seen some excellent advice here about improving video and I was wondering if anything at all can be done with the source video I have.

I received this stuff digitised from an Uncle who has since passed on. There is no knowledge left of the the location of the original film.

I've posted a small clip up on RapidShare if somebody would like to give opinions.

Thanks in advance,

Alan
    Usually they show the film on the wall and record it with a video camera if the Super8 film was ever found you could use a DV or HD camera to capture, but as you said it's not available you have to work with what you've got I must say your Super8 sample looks as good as any other Super8 film

The blue is a little strong at the waterfall but not at the beach the sand and the face colours are weak but the black looks nice in the sample. You can download TMPGenc Xpress it has a free trial and it has settings to remove adjust video noise and the colour (tutorials on videohelp) use it in very short sections and note the settings you use (as a test rather than all of it to see what does or doesn't work) and try and see if there is an improvement before doing all of the super8 film .......... keep in mind when tweaking the settings it's easy to make it look worse ..... I should know !!!

I hope you still have that nice smile

Have fun with your little project ..... from David
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daveg9876
    Originally Posted by kiwiusa
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Alan
    Usually they show the film on the wall and record it with a video camera if the Super8 film was ever found you could use a DV or HD camera to capture, but as you said it's not available you have to work with what you've got I must say your Super8 sample looks as good as any other Super8 film

The blue is a little strong at the waterfall but not at the beach the sand and the face colours are weak but the black looks nice in the sample. You can download TMPGenc Xpress it has a free trial and it has settings to remove adjust video noise and the colour (tutorials on videohelp) use it in very short sections and note the settings you use (as a test rather than all of it to see what does or doesn't work) and try and see if there is an improvement before doing all of the super8 film .......... keep in mind when tweaking the settings it's easy to make it look worse ..... I should know !!!

I hope you still have that nice smile

Have fun with your little project ..... from David
    Thanks David. The smile is still there (varies with the number of beers I've had) but unfortunately the hair has long since passed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Usually they show the film on the wall and record it with a video camera
    Yes...but only fools that don't know any better
    Use a screen since that's what they're made for
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    Usually they show the film on the wall and record it with a video camera
    Yes...but only fools that don't know any better
    Use a screen since that's what they're made for
    ?! Neither walls nor screens are made for transfer work. Work printers, arial(sp?) image systems etc are.

However, if the wall is white and clean, there is no benefit to using a screen in transfer work.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I think professionals use some kind of film scanner (but I guess that was what you meant 2Bdecided)?

Would be interesting with a sample of how good it can be if done by the very best methods available... My father has a lot of old 8 mm film originals never digitized...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check out the examples at the bottom of this page...

http://www.alivestudios-memories.co.uk/cine-newsystem.html

...but also check out the price! Their demo reel is great, as are the individual 8mm and 16mm examples. (The 9.5mm example is poor).

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    I found this service here in Sweden:
    http://www.uppsalabildteknik.com/english.php

Seems to be OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good!

Cheers,