VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Everyone,

When I was young and naive my external harddrive became damaged and I didn't have a backup driver (I've now got around four copies of all of my data). Luckily, most of the data I was able to recover using commercial data recovery applications.

However some of the MPG video files were not so lucky and appear to have become damaged. Though I have tried various different programs to pull them off the harddrive they always come out looking something like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vlc 2014-02-12 16-13-44-57.avi.Still001.png
Views:	1196
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	23538
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2014-02-12-18h07m03s252.png
Views:	1112
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	23537
    The top image is from Premiere, the bottom from VLC. The video was saved (I think) on the some of the first sectors of the harddrive. They original file names are never present and the original video is always split up into several files (various program to program).

Some frames seem to indicate the video may have been spliced with another video. I still have the harddrive and I do have the original copies of some parts of the video.

I have been searching Google for info and programs regarding MPG recovery but I have been largely unsuccessful. Is there any method, at all, that I can use to fix these files? Or are they simply damaged for good? Would love to hear any and all advice on the subject.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The best option would be to try some different data recovery applications. But if you have used your damage harddrive or if your current data recovery software has rewritten the data on the harddrive it's pretty pointless.

I doubt you will find any software that can fix the video files that probably contains mixed data/video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The best option would be to try some different data recovery applications. But if you have used your damage harddrive or if your current data recovery software has rewritten the data on the harddrive it's pretty pointless.

I doubt you will find any software that can fix the video files that probably contains mixed data/video.
    Thanks Baldrick. I will keep trying other applications. I have not used the harddrive (it was an external harddrive and either way, it's inaccessible through normal means) and I'm fairly certain none of the software has written to the device.
    Quote Quote