VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have 25 minute mpeg2 video file that I got from my TV card and I wanted to author it into a DVD. Since, according to Gspot, the video was "already DVD format", it was suggested to use GUI for DVDauthor to make the DVD. However, when I dragged the video file into the main window, I got this warning message, "no padding bits found at end of file. Probably this file is part of a VOBset...." (see screenshot). Well, I don't really understand the meaning, or what I should do about it. The video file is from my TV card, so I don't understand why the warning says the file is "part of a VOBset". At any rate, I continued with the authoring process. Near the end of the authoring process, the log file displayed many "fixing VOBU" messages. (see second screenshot) But the final authored DVD played perfectly on the hard drive using Media Player Classic and Power DVD.
    So my questions are: what does the warning message mean, and what does the "fixing VOBU" mean?
    Also one other question. I repeated the whole authoring process but instead used DVD Flick.
    It "encoded" the video very fast (210FPS) so I don't think it was re-encoding. However, the final authored product did not play correctly using both Media Player Classic or Power DVD. The problem was, near the end of the video, the picture froze but the audio continued to play for several more minutes until the end of the video. Does anyone know why this happens?

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't answer your question, but I am looking forward to the explanation. When I use GFD. I generally import m2v files and ac3 files straight from an editor to save a step, and let GFD handle multiplexing and VOB creation. Because I use separate audio and video files, the problem with VOB's has not been an issue, but I can see where some people might find it annoying.

I have only once tried to author with GFD using a VOB, and I had the same thing happen. The single VOB that I tried to use was created using IFOEdit's Author DVD function, and it was not part of a VOB set. However, such files do play correctly on my PC and on the DVD players in the house.

The "fixing VOBU" messages are something I always see when I use GFD. In my case I am allowing GFD to create the VOB's for me, but I still doubt it is an error message in your case.
    Quote Quote  
  3. There is a bit of a 'Gotcha' with TV capture cards, both digital and analog. They state that they produce a compliant MPG but often don't.
    The best way I've found to resolve this problem is to demux the file and then remux it using a multiplexer that you know works well. I normally use the Imago Multiplexer which you can find in the Tools section. (Note this will not do the demux. Have a look for a tool you like to do that.)

In most cases, this will resolve your problem and GUI for DVDAuthor will then accept it and produce a good result. Every so often, this doesn't work.
    If that happens, I've found that the only solution has been to re-encode the video component. That'll always get you a workable result.

Have fun,
    Ian
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    iant wrote:

There is a bit of a 'Gotcha' with TV capture cards, both digital and analog. They state that they produce a compliant MPG but often don't.
    Would that have something to do with the following warnings by VirtualDub

[!] MPEG: Anachronistic or discontinuous timestamp found in video stream 0 at
    byte position 12732454, from 14908486 to 5585. This may indicate an
    improper join.

[!] MPEG: Anachronistic or discontinuous timestamp found in audio stream 0 at
    byte position 12740628, from 14904317 to 8588. This may indicate an
    improper join.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nice to hear that it works! Usually people only post if something doesn't work.
    Explanation:
    1. "fixing VOBU" is a 'normal' message by dvdauthor. It doesn't mean any error (actually dvdauthor fills the navigation packs with the vobunit values, usually these navigation packs are empty or wrong as the values depend on the overall DVD structure)
    2. The warning: 'no padding bits found at end of file' has the following meaning: On a DVD the vobunits have a size of 2k. If the streams (video/audio/subtitles) don't end exactly at a 2k boundary (which is really rare), the rest is filled with padding bytes (00 or FF). But if a titleset or title on a DVD is longer than 1GB it has to be splitted, and here are no padding bits added. Therefore GfD issues a warning if no padding bits found at end of file, because the most likely situation for such a file is that the file is part of a vobset (a vobset is a vob file which is splitted to several 1GB pieces). And dvdauthor cannot join these pieces together correctly.
    If your TV card software doesn't add padding bits at the end of a mpeg file, that's completely ok, as it is part of the DVD standard, but not necessary for a 'normal' mpeg file. You can be glad, that your software adds at least the (probably empty but ok) navigation packs, as dvdauthor cannot work without those.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Midzuki,

Sorry my friend but I haven't got a clue regarding the VirtualDub messages. I just don't have the technical knowledge to answer that one.

All I know is that I've been playing with these things for over a decade and it's quite common that any given capture card (Especially the digital ones.) will produce a file that's not quite right. As stated earlier, the demux/remux technique fixes most of them.... but sometimes not.

Have Fun,
    Ian
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you for the answers. But I am still trying to find out why authoring with DVD Flick produced a DVD when played on the hard drive, near the end of the video the picture would freeze but the audio would continue for several more minutes until the end of the video. And has anyone ever run into this phenomenon where the video freezes near the end of the video but the audio continues until the end? Since it happens only near the end, I wonder if this has something to do with "non-standard" mpeg2?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, probably. The 'discontinuous timestamp' message means that video and audio are not synced 'clean' (there are several timestamps in a mpg stream: PTS, SCR, GOP Headers). I don't know which one causes the problem, but maybe demux (with ProjectX) and using the elementary streams would fix the problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the answer. It is not a problem because GUI For DVD Author already does a perfect job. I just have to use different softwares for different jobs. It is always interesting to hear why something doesn't work. DVD Flick has always worked for me when converting AVI to DVD, but apparently doesn't work so well when converting tv-card mpeg2 to DVD.
    Quote Quote