VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't open any .mp4 (AVC/AAC) video in Virtualdub, I've tried various plugins in the plugins32 folder, I've tried selecting the directshowinput driver in the file open dialogue. If I use the directshow input it gives me an audio can't be rendered error, I thought this used to work for me but maybe I'm not doing something right? Any suggestions?
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First go to the File->File Information and make sure VirtualDub sees it a s AVC/AAC, just in case... Then try putting the 'FFInputDriver.vdplugin' into the plugins32 folder and select File -> Open and select the 'ffmpeg supported files' from the 'Files of type' drop down. If that doesn't work you may have some serious codec issues, especially if it used to work. Directshow can be buggy sometimes about formats or slight abnormalities and the ffmpeg usually works if the file will play in a player okay.
    Quote Quote  
  3. never had a chance to verify personally, but it is a rough guess.
    with LAV directshow filters installed, VirtualDub should virtually open .mp4, .mkv and many more formats with DirectShowInput Driver. Someone who has installed LAV filters and VDub needs to affirm my statement, here.
    or OP can simply try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing I CAN test is that mp4's can be a bear to play in VirtualDub UNLESS you have the FFInputDriver installed in the plugins 32 folder.

I have Lav filters, FFDshow, Codec Tweak tool, Win7SD filter tweaker, AAC ACM, AC3 ACM, and my favorite Codec pack that never fails me yet if I remove the FFInputDriver.vdplugin, I get various errors depending on how I set all the above. Put it back and everything plays great. None of the other formats seem to be a problem and I can simply turn on or off in FFdshow and they respond to playing/not playing.

Since you say your error mentions the audio being a problem, you may need the AAC ACM codec (I'd recommenrd the AC3 ACM as well). I assume the error does not show up when you load it since audio in normally set to copy and fails when you play/convert? If so, that means you have no ACM decoder for it or that audio is bad in some way. A simple trick I use to test is just set audio to NO Audio in VirtualDub and try to play. It usually plays then if I have the VFW video codec installed.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone, I got it working again, I had two mp4inputdriver plugins in the plugins32 folder, I don't remember as it's been a long time where I got them, but when I pulled them out and used the FFinputdriver plugin, it all came back to life. Thank you!
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote