VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys!

Could you please suggest a program for Windows 7 to hardcode 2 subtitles - on top and bottom of the video? The top subs will come from srt file. The bottom from idx/sub.

If this same program would allow to put black strips on top and bottow of the movie for subtitles (so that subtitles do not cover the movie itself and are clearly visible white on black) that would be even better!

Thank you very much for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't mention what format you want the final result in but my favorite is Virtualdub that saves as an AVI in almost any format you have VFW encoders for. There is a good write up here https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/315058-HowTo-add-permanent-Letterboxed-subtitles-to...aldub-SRTtoSSA .

It will be very difficult to use 2 different subtitle types in any single program and get them to be placed at different places. It would be much easier to convert them to SSA or ASS and set the default formatting to place them where you wish. These subtitles work best for placing them where you want and how you want them (size, color, font, etc.)

The example explains also how to create the Black Letterbox borders you are looking for also.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I'd do, if I were you:

1) with the help from VSFilter, build a DirectShow graph in Graphstudio, save it, and create an appropriate Avisynth script for it;

2) open the AVS file in VirtualDub, and load the idx+sub through the VobSub function of VSfilter;

HTH.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you very much, guys!

Sorry, my question was a bit misleading. Windows 7 is what I have on my desktop PC, but I want to watch the resulting movies on my Android smartphone. Because there aren't any video players for Android that support simultaneous dual subtitles, I need to hardcode at least one of the subs.

Input movie format can be either AVI or MP4. Same for output: AVI or MP4. I'm not very concerned about loss of video quality after hardcoding. Well, I am, but it's not critical.

My idea is to study Japanese by watching Japanese movies wherever and whenever I have an opportunity. So, I have now:
    - Japanese movie in AVI with Japanese audio
    - Japanese subtitles in IDX/SUB format (I want them on top)
    - English subtitles in SRT format (I want them at the bottom)

I will try to combine those and see if any of the players on my Galaxy Note II can play it.
    Last edited by dim4x4; 6th Apr 2013 at 11:20. Reason: Clarification
    Quote Quote  
  5. You may do that with MediaCoder. You'll have to set the top position of your IDX/SUB aforehand. I made a 1 min clip in 1280x720 using a 2.35:1 movie with MediaCoder 8.17.5302 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b1S2HPmfkk

to illustrate it (The subtitles & movie is merely for illustration)
    Last edited by videobruger; 6th Apr 2013 at 16:22.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Tried to use VirtualDub as per tutorial. Everything worked OK (letterboxes, subtitles), BUT while original AVI was 700 MB the resulting AVI turned out to be 97 GB !!! What did I do wrong?

Will try MediaCoder tomorrow.

Thank you all guys for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by dim4x4 View Post
    What did I do wrong?
    You didn't choose and configure a codec. Go Video->Compression, choose a codec and while configuring it also choose a bitrate (or do a 1-pass quality-based/quant-based encode). File size is dependent on the bitrate. A quality-based encode can be any bitrate needed to produce the quality you want.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It worked. Thanks, manono! Thank you all guys!

MediaCoder proved too complex for me.

Any way to put idx/sub subtitles on top, and srt/ssa on bottom?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dim4x4 View Post
    Any way to put idx/sub subtitles on top, and srt/ssa on bottom?
    Sure. For the VobSubs, open the IDX in Notepad and adjust the positioning here (the boldfaced number adjusts the height):

# Settings

# Original frame size
    size: 720x480

# Origin, relative to the upper-left corner, can be overloaded by aligment
    org: 0, -360
    # Image scaling (hor,ver), origin is at the upper-left corner or at the alignment coord (x, y)
    scale: 100%, 100%

For the SSA, open it in Notepad and adjust the positioning (the boldfaced number adjusts the height):

[V4 Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
    Style: Style1,Tahoma,20,11842740,8421504,8421504,0,0,0,1, 2,0,2,20,20,20,0,0

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2Subs.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	17128  

Quote Quote