VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello:

I recently downloaded about 12 MP4 files from the Internet and when I tried to open 3 of them using VirtualDub I got the following message "Unable to set filename on media detector: hr = 80004005" and VirtualDub opened the other 9 MP4 files with no problem.

VLC Media Player opens all 12 files with no problem. This lead me to check the codec under media information in VLC Media Player. In doing so I was able to determine the video codec is H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1) and the audio codec is MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) in all 12 files. The resolution varies among the files but that should not be a problem. In looking at the frames per second information I was able to determine it is 29.970000 in the 9 files that will play in both VirtualDub and VLC Media Player and the frames per second information in the 3 files that will not play in VirtualDub is 29.970029. I processed the 3 files in the free version of Any Video Converter only changing the FPS information from 29.970029 to 29.970000 so there are no values greater than zero after the first 2 digits to the right of the decimal place and VirtualDub open them with no problem.

Does anyone know how I might change the digits that express the FPS information in MP4 files using something like a text editor or tag editor so I can confirm that is the problem and that the files didn't open because they were re-encoded.

Sincerely,
    Last edited by mkh; 16th Feb 2014 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do your problem files have foreign characters in the name? Try renaming them with simple alphanumeric names.
    Quote Quote