VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wondering if there is an app that i could use to record higher quality videos on my android phone. Think Something like lagarith.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Higher quality than what? The default app should use the highest quality available with the hardware on the phone.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I'm wondering if there is an app that i could use to record higher quality videos on my android phone. Think Something like lagarith.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience
    What do you mean by higher quality videos?
    The camera is already configured to capture best quality videos..
    as far as Lagarith is concerned, its just a codec to store encode videos losslessly , On an android phone the camera uses a predefined codec (x264 in most cases) , and you cant change that since its embedded into the phone somehow.
    Using lagarith , the video bitrate increases masssively and your phone should be able to write to memory at those high speeds.
    And another thing is you will need a special lagarith encoder designed for use on android platform.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well i've found little free app called IgCamera, i can record in h264,mpeg4 (3gp or mp4 container) up to 100mbit (haven't tried that high obviously) The pro version has more options
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't matter how high a bitrate you can record. The result will be the same, just a bigger file size. There's no free lunch.

Sony does that kind of crap too. They state 24 megapixel stills from their camcorders, but the sensor is only 1080. They just upsample to 300ppi AFTER capture.
    Last edited by budwzr; 15th May 2014 at 17:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK this is really weird. I KNOW I posted to this thread (or a near-identical thread) days ago, in fact I even re-edited my post after-the-fact (adding more info). But now, NONE of it is here.

Suffice to say, you are constrained by the inadequacies of phone hardware & firmware & drivers. This might allow you room to create/use a cam app that has somewhat higher bitrate, or one that allows for semi-manual exposure control, but there are limits to the optics (no existing camera's stock lens is optical-zoom-capable, and both aftermarket retrofits and digital zooms will noticeably reduce quality), there are limits to exposure adjustment (there is no such thing as an f-stop adjustment, it's all as wide-open as possible and adjusted via shutter speed or gain/sensitivity/ISO), and there are limits to data transfer rates (you'd be lucky to record at full "CLASS 10" levels on capable microSD cards). Plus, with such small chipset spaces, you would be in danger of overheating after just a few minutes. Since you are left with such bitrate restrictions (~80Mbps), your best quality option is already your CURRENT option: AVC/h.264 (usually in an MP4 container). It will be hard enough getting one to reliably put out CFR video (as opposed to the usual VFR garbage). I would suggest looking up Cinema FV-5 app, for starters.

But don't get your hopes up. If you are truly serious about doing good, professional-style video, you will use good, professional equipment. Which (currently), contrary to marketing hype, does NOT include Phones (whether for video or for audio), except as adjunct facilitators/controllers of external hardware.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, now I'm starting to wonder what's going on here. Are my posts getting deleted by someone? I can do a VH search on "Cinema FV-5" and see a preview portion of my original post, but when I click the link, it just shows me this current thread WITHOUT my original post!!!

Baldrick?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apple's been running commercials showing a live band using iPhones and iPads as every possible answer to everything A/V, and I guess people buy into that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    OK, now I'm starting to wonder what's going on here. Are my posts getting deleted by someone?
    Sorry about that, but I didn't know the correct answer so I stole the jist of your old post and re-worked it into mine. Then reported your post as inappropriate so I guess they auto-deleted it.

(Just Kidding)
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    OK, now I'm starting to wonder what's going on here. Are my posts getting deleted by someone? I can do a VH search on "Cinema FV-5" and see a preview portion of my original post, but when I click the link, it just shows me this current thread WITHOUT my original post!!!

Baldrick?

Scott
    Yep. It seems to be gone. Google has cached it. I will see if I can find it in the database.

edit: Nope. It's deleted.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!