VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been making movies using Ulead VideoStudio (currently ProX2) for years. I also have been using PhotoShop (currently, Elements 8) to edit still photos used in the non-HD movies which are burned to DV-R discs, played on a Blu-Ray player and displayed on a high def TV. No training, just blundering through. The still images come from cameras using different formats and pixel dimensions. They are all converted to JPEG in PhotoShop, then imported to the Ulead where they are somehow equalized for display, but often with some quality loss when viewed on the TV.

Can I change the cameras or the images to maximize quality when viewed in the DVD on TV?

Ulead can use JPEG or Bitmap formats. Quality being the only criteria, is one better than the other?

Thanks.

CT

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bitmap (BMP) files are generally uncompressed, while jpeg files are compressed. Jpeg will give you smaller files, but high quality jpegs will look just as good.

The bigger issue is most likely that you are taking high quality images at high resolution (3000+ x 2000+ for 8mps and up), but creating standard resolution movies (740 x 480). You are therefore throwing away most of the image detail and data. Watching it on a large screen will make matter worse, as the low resolution video is then upscaled again for display. If you want to maintain quality then you have two choices.

1. Output HD 1080p video. It is still not the same resolution as the original images, but is it a lot better than standard resolution video
    2. Don't create video. Just put the stills on a disc. Most players will play the images directly from disc. They may still reduce the resolution for display, but they generally do less damage than the conversion to video
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My still cameras vary in pixel dimensions and some can be adjusted while others can't. Am I correct in assuming there would be no benefit to lowering the pixel dimensions, where possible, to more closely match the video?

True, I am outputting 740 x 480 video, but plan to upgrade to a high definition camera this year, which leads me to these questions.

The Sony HDR FX7 has the features I need and is in my price range. However, one reviewer on Sony's website abosolutely went off on the camera, particularly when used in low light situations, which make up a great deal of my work. Again, I am primarily interested in quality audio/video, but in this case cost is a limitation. Any thoughts on HD cameras in the $2,000 range?

Clips for my projects usually are collected over a one-year period and I have already begun gathering tape for 2011. Will I be able to use these clips with high definition clips from the new camera in the same project?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote