VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Thanks for the contributions to this forum, I've spent the past few days reading-up and learning in here. A great collaborative source of knowledge.

My issue: I have CCTV footage that is extracted to an avi file that is encoded using a proprietary VfW codec. My goal is to take make this footage readable in ffmpeg - to put it in H.264 or other web format. The VfW codec obviously isn't built into ffmpeg so I read that an easier solution to adding a new codec to ffmpeg's avcodec library is to use a frame-server like AVISynth to play the files frame by frame and pass them to ffmpeg. My AVIsynth command plays the file properly in WMP but when I try to pass that file in ffmpeg I get the following error:

Code:
    c:\FFMPEG\bin>ffmpeg -i "input.avs" -r 1 -t 4 image-%d.jpeg
    ffmpeg version N-39267-g4082198 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
      built on Mar 25 2012 20:28:42 with gcc 4.6.2
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-ru
    ntime-cpudetect --enable-avisynth --enable-bzlib --enable-frei0r --enable-libope
    ncore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libfreetype --enable-libgsm --en
    able-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger -
    -enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwben
    c --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-
    libxvid --enable-zlib
      libavutil      51. 44.100 / 51. 44.100
      libavcodec     54. 12.100 / 54. 12.100
      libavformat    54.  3.100 / 54.  3.100
      libavdevice    53.  4.100 / 53.  4.100
      libavfilter     2. 65.102 /  2. 65.102
      libswscale      2.  1.100 /  2.  1.100
      libswresample   0. 10.100 /  0. 10.100
      libpostproc    52.  0.100 / 52.  0.100
    [avs @ 0000000001DBEB10] AVIFileOpen failed with error -2147221164input.avs: Ope
    ration not permitted

c:\FFMPEG\bin>

My AVISynth code for input.avs, which plays the video successfully in WMP is:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("examples\MN_Sample1.avi", audio=false, pixel_type="RGB", convertfps=true)

1) is this the best way to get this proprietary data into ffmpeg
    2) if so what am I doing wrong? Why doesn't ffmpeg read it?

I am using AVISynth

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try using the full path to the video file, not just a relative path. Or put the AVS script in the same folder as the video file and use just the file name.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey jagabo,
    thanks for the response. Turns out the issue was my silly mistake - I was using a 64bit version of FFMPEG and a 32 bit version of AVISync.

I downloaded Zerano's 32-bit static build and retried. It worked - I DID have to use the full-path or keep the files in the same directory though - so you WERE right about that.

Thanks
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, the 32 bit and 64 bit video systems in Windows are completely separate.
    Quote Quote