VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, all...I've been spending considerable amount of time converting my BluRays to x.264 MKV's for playing over my OpenELEC systems. For all of what I've done so far, I've used MakeMKV and Handbrake and that combo has served me well and given good output. Then I made the mistake of buying the Torchwood Blu-Rays, with their 1080i VC-1 encoding and Handbrake just couldn't process it, so my output had a lot of artifacting in it and nothing I could do would fix it.

I started researching and found out that the BD's were done in 1080i VC-1 and the only thing capable of doing 1080i->1080p for free is RipBot264. So, I downloaded it, installed all of the latest versions of the pre-requisites (AviSynth 2.6, Haali Media Splitter, ffdshow tryout rev4532) and RipBot was happy to start up.

I pointed it to the decrypted BD done by MakeMKV and the stream I needed. The source info came up showing the VC-1 1080i codec, the audio, the number of chapters, etc. I chose the proper settings and then let it do its thing to demux and "gather information". When it was done, I modified my settings and then clicked on the Properties next to the Mode and CRF boxes. Where I should get a preview frame, all I get is gray. I went ahead and cropped it automatically and reduced it from 1080 to 720p dimensions, went back, saved the job and tried to encode. The hard drive churned for a few minutes, but then it stopped with "ERROR" with no output file. I did not record the error message, but I think it had something to do with a timeout waiting for DirectShowSource?

To try to troubleshoot, I removed all of RipBot's pre-requisites and reinstalled. No change. I then downgraded AviSynth to 2.5.8 and the 2588 DirectShowSource.dll update. Removed my old job and started a new one, doing the same things. I still am not getting a preview frame (looking in the RipBot264temp director, I can see the "frame.bmp" file and it's just grey) but when I play the demux'ed MKV file for the VC-1 video, that is playing as expected, so from what I can tell, the demux was successful. I re-created the job, cropping and shrinking it to 720p, and the job ran. However, the output file has nothing but grey for the video.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where my problem could be? My OS is Windows 10 x64 Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VC-1 formats can cause problems. I use AnyDVD HD for ripping. But DVDFab should also work on older BDs, MakeMKV should also.

What I have done before is to use BDInfo on the ripped BD file to find the correct MPLS file.
    Sometimes RipBot misses it, especially if there are two versions of the video.
    Then open the playlist in the BDMV folder of the file and add the correct MPLS file to the tsMuxeR GUI. (It's in the RipBot folder under 'Tools'.)

Pick the video, audio and maybe subs if desired. Remove all else. Then with output set the desired folder and 'TS Muxing', mux the file.
    Take the result of this and try it in Ripbot. I normally don't resize, so no help there.

If that doesn't work, make sure to save the log from RipBot and post it here as that may have the answer.

Also, the author of RipBot visits here, so he may be able to assist.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1) Run ripbot264
    2) change decoder for VC-1 in FFDShow . Select wmv9. However I'm not sure if win10 has this decoder installed by default.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	4mdRFoz.png
Views:	493
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	34622
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've done this, both the wmv9 and libavcodec options and the only thing that changes is that the blank frame changes from gray to green, otherwise no change. Any other ideas? When RipBot264 does appear to be processing the video, I do see the Haali and FFDshow icons appear in the system tray, and the FFDshow icon says the input is WVC1 and output is YV12. The demux phase does properly generate a video-only MKV.
    Last edited by beholder242; 24th Nov 2015 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    VC-1 formats can cause problems. I use AnyDVD HD for ripping. But DVDFab should also work on older BDs, MakeMKV should also.

What I have done before is to use BDInfo on the ripped BD file to find the correct MPLS file.
    Sometimes RipBot misses it, especially if there are two versions of the video.
    Then open the playlist in the BDMV folder of the file and add the correct MPLS file to the tsMuxeR GUI. (It's in the RipBot folder under 'Tools'.)

Pick the video, audio and maybe subs if desired. Remove all else. Then with output set the desired folder and 'TS Muxing', mux the file.
    Take the result of this and try it in Ripbot. I normally don't resize, so no help there.

If that doesn't work, make sure to save the log from RipBot and post it here as that may have the answer.

Also, the author of RipBot visits here, so he may be able to assist.

And welcome to our forums.
    Thank you for the welcome.

For the most part, the combo of MakeMKV and Handbrake has been bulletproof, but it's just with the Torchwood Blu-Rays that I've run into trouble. I think the main problem I'm having is converting the VC-1 1080i to x.264 720p.

While RipBot264 hasn't been working, I also played with MeGUI last night and its one-click encoder did the trick and it converted an episode properly, without the blocking and tearing I was seeing from Handbrake's output due to it's limitation of not supporting 1080i input. The only odd thing about the output is that Windows won't make a thumbnail of the video like what happens from Handbrake. I think I can live with that, though. I'm re-running the MKV that MeGUI made through Handbrake, just keeping the settings the same and see if maybe there some sort of minor structural difference that is causing the thumbnail not to be generated?

I'd still like to try to get RipBot264 working, perhaps on my laptop that's running Win7 x64 Ultimate. Perhaps the problem I'm having with RipBot264 does have to do with Windows 10 or something I have loaded on it that's interfering.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Interlaced VC-1 works fine on my virtual machine
    Quote Quote  
  7. Could point to something incompatible on my system. I'll try setting up RipBot on my Win 7 laptop that I recently did a fresh install of and see what happens.
    Quote Quote