VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought a used TBC-1000 on ebay for video restoration. When I looked at the output from the VCR alone and compared it to the output of the VCR with the TBC-1000 connected, they looked the same. Is there something I could be looking for to make sure that the used TBC-1000 I bought is having some effect. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The TBC-1000 isn't really going to lead to a "different" looking image, it's purpose is to basically put your signal "in spec" so that it can be captured without issues such as dropped frames and the resulting audio/video skew. The TBC-1000 will often make slight improvements to the image (usually in the form of correcting strange motion issues) but primarily it can be thought of as affecting the signal more than the image.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Without test equipment, the only way you can be sure a TBC-1000 is working properly is to try and dub a commercial (protected) VHS or DVD thru it. If the resulting dub plays normally, free of flashing and errors, the TBC-1000 is good. As robjv1 said, the TBC-1000 is transparent in use, it doesn't do anything obvious to the video aside from fixing "invisible" timing and control pulse issues (patching over tape dropouts, dropped frames, and copy protection distortions). Depending on the input source material, it can noticeably soften the signal (as all TBCs do), so unless you're experiencing a definite lip-sync issue or other serious problems you should bypass it. This type of TBC is more of a necessity when dubbing tapes to a PC, current DVD recorders can handle most VCR signals without an external TBC.

"Visible" image enhancement requires a high-end SVHS or DVHS vcr with built-in TBC/Noise Reduction, or an external image processor, or software tweaking on a computer capture.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    This type of TBC is more of a necessity when dubbing tapes to a PC, current DVD recorders can handle most VCR signals without an external TBC.
    Yes, I hardly EVER use mine anymore. I used it primarily with my old Lite-On DVD recorder, but the JVC doesn't seem to have the same signal issues. I've needed it on the rare occasion that my VCR (which has a full-frame TBC built in) doesn't defeat the macro-vision on certain tapes, although I should really get rid of it while it's still worth something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the VCR captures do not show timing or servo error, then time base correction is not necessary. But if the VCR playback exhibits instances of servo unlock, or a tape tension error which shows as a large tape skew at the head switch point just before the vertical interval of the video signal, or a chroma phase distortion from one horizontal line to the next for a few lines or the entire height of the active video because of well-worn or misadjusted heads, then proper time base corrector operation can be confirmed by first playing the video without using the TBC, then replaying the same video using the TBC. The output of the TBC during most VCR servo recovery periods should be stable. Any picture distortion caused by tape skew error should be properly realigned through the vertical interval. Lastly the chroma errors (most easily seen during playback of a solid blue background from a character generator) should be corrected for the entire scan to the original phase of each line.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    Yes, I hardly EVER use mine anymore. [...] I should really get rid of it while it's still worth something.
    I wouldn't worry about losing your investment: the new retail price has doubled in the three years since I bought mine, and second-hand prices have gone up in tandem. While I've seen used prices on eBay fluctuate between a low of $150 and a high of $425, most resales hit at least $200. Certain products that are essentially unique with no competition, like the the DataVideo TBC-1000, can retain solid resale value for many years. The only real competition for the TBC-1000 in the available-new, modern design, consumer-friendly TBC product category is the AVT-8710/CBT-100, which is far more flimsy and has some serious operational issues that need to be allowed for. The TBC-1000 is a tank by comparison, and can feed one input to four outputs. I doubt it will ever drop below $150, especially now that quality DVD recorders have all but disappeared from the market and more people are forced into computer capture (which is ridiculously sensitive to timing errors, all but requiring a TBC).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not all TBCs do the same thing.
    Read this mini-article: What is a TBC? Time Base Correction for Videotapes
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    Yes, I hardly EVER use mine anymore. [...] I should really get rid of it while it's still worth something.
    I wouldn't worry about losing your investment: the new retail price has doubled in the three years since I bought mine, and second-hand prices have gone up in tandem. While I've seen used prices on eBay fluctuate between a low of $150 and a high of $425, most resales hit at least $200. Certain products that are essentially unique with no competition, like the the DataVideo TBC-1000, can retain solid resale value for many years. The only real competition for the TBC-1000 in the available-new, modern design, consumer-friendly TBC product category is the AVT-8710/CBT-100, which is far more flimsy and has some serious operational issues that need to be allowed for. The TBC-1000 is a tank by comparison, and can feed one input to four outputs. I doubt it will ever drop below $150, especially now that quality DVD recorders have all but disappeared from the market and more people are forced into computer capture (which is ridiculously sensitive to timing errors, all but requiring a TBC).
    Great points all around there -- I was "lucky" to buy mine about 6 months to a year before the unexplained price hike. There was an issue with the S-Video connector too that they fixed just before it went out of warranty. I'll hold onto it JUST in case I come across a video that needs it or for macrovision purposes.

That's actually going to be an interesting time -- when I'm all done with my VHS to DVD projects (yeah right, like that day will ever come) what will I sell and what will I keep? I'm sure something will happen along that needs converted. But I don't need two (or three) of everything (paranoia or foresight, you tell me)
    Last edited by robjv1; 17th Jul 2010 at 16:19.
    Quote Quote