VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. NEVER trust uninstallers provided by malware.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yeah, conduit is one of the sneakiest/crappiest "legal" malware provider, which is why it doesn't get caught by security software. I don't know if I'd trust the 2 uninstallers they suggest either. Stuff like that gets side-installed by those kinds of free adware. I haven't had to deal with conduit in ages, but I seem to recall Spybot would nuke it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Funny, I just searched "conduit searchprotect" out of curiosity and got to the company page. But when I went up one level to the home page I got to something looking quite different, touting mobile solutions or something like that. And there was bo apparent way to get back down from there to where I had been.

Very shaky looking.

(sigh) ... this is one of the reasons I use linux mostly now. It won't let an install make anything remotely close to those kinds of changes to the OS without sending up red flags. Windows permission levels suck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update: Yup. My sister-in-law had conduit on her XP Pro computer (that I built for her). I used Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel to remove it, and it not only nuked several critical system files, but also corrupted the C:\ Partition itself! I had already made sure I had a good image backup from Macrium Reflect, so I picked a dated image just previous to the current one and restored. It still wouldn't boot until I manually removed the existing partition and created a new one, then the restore worked perfectly and she is back up & running.
    Sheeeeze, I don't know what the heck that Conduit outfit is doing but they must be using trained monkeys for coding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, They really don't want you removing it. If You do they probably feel that the unbootable part is a bonus.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use regedit to get rid of it on computers I have to fix.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  7. WARNING - The link given in post #4, by a brand-new user, contains instructions to remove using Control Panel, and also links to a "scanning program" that is not named or identified. This link does NOT look legit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    WARNING - The link given in post #4, by a brand-new user, contains instructions to remove using Control Panel, and also links to a "scanning program" that is not named or identified. This link does NOT look legit.
    Banned and deleted. Thanks.
    Quote Quote