VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Guys,

I was recently handed 3 disks by my sister. She had been given them from a friend, who while on a cruise unfortunately ran into some camera problems. Her friend was using a Kodak ZX1 to record small video clips of the cruise they had been on. Unfortunately, said camera had an internal error. However, she managed to get the videos from the camera onto 3 disks, via help from the staff onboard the cruise ship using a program called Roxio Toast (or something along those lines).
    Anyway, I have been given the task of trying to get this videos to play.

I'll quickly explain what I have tried to do.. and then hopefully, you guys will be able to point me in the right direction.

Firstly, I got the videos off the disk. They are in .mov format and appear to be in 1280x720 resolution. I moved the files off the disk onto my HD and began trying to load them with a fully updated Quicktime Player, however, when attempting to play the files (which I have been told have both audio and video), all I am faced with is a Quicktime Window, loaded in the correct resolution (1280x720). When I play the file, there is no video and no sound, but the frame by frame timer moves for the entire duration of the video, by which I mean it moves from 00:00 to 00:22 (if the file is 22 seconds long).
    Now, personally I use VLC player to play videos, so I attempted to load the videos there also.. However, the same thing happened there. For the life of me, I didn't understand what the problem could be at all. I began to look into codec and found out it is H.264, I downloaded the seperate codec file (even though I knew VLC and QT both came pre-loaded with it). This didn't work.

The final thing I have tried to do, is convert the files to .avi. This has brought some, minor, success. I downloaded a program called MP4Cam2AVi, which is some piece of freeware. I used it to change the .movs into .AVI. now, when I tried to play these avi files.. although no sound appeared (and I guess, no video), I did have a still, singular image, for some of the videos (around 75% of them). The still image stayed on the screen for the duration of the video. I thought, for a second, that they could be simply image files that have somehow, got converted into .MOVs, However, I have been advised that they are definitely video files with sound.

So now, I need your help guys. I have no idea what to do. I'm pretty damn good with computers, but cameras.. I've not used before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Oliver
    Quote Quote  
  2. How about trying another video conversion tool? I started out with the free version of Any Video Converter, which accepts .mov files. You can also try TEncoder using the settings in the attached image. I recently tested TEncoder converting a .mov file from my Zx1 and the resulting .mp4 file plays in VLC version 2.0.2. Maybe this may work for you?
    Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by em-t-wallitt; 10th Jul 2012 at 22:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try mediainfo and see if it says they are video files. quite possibly the memory storage of the cam was erased/formatted and then they partially recovered files off it. doesn't mean the file are any good though. look at one in a hex editor and see if it is mainly 0's.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mediainfo.png
Views:	155
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	13060

Hi guys, firstly, thank you for the responses. The above screenshot shows the information from Mediainfo, which clearly shows it has an audio track as well as a video track.

As for the other post regarding another coverter, I downloaded TEncoder and using the settings below, I was able to convert the files. However, same thing happens. I get a singular image for the videos entirety within Quicktime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tencoder.png
Views:	166
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	13061

I'm at a dead end again. I appreciate your help guys and any future help would be brilliant!

Thanks

Oliver
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looks to small to be complete video file. the one you used mediainfo on is listed as 8.3MB which is 66.4mb. the bitrate listed is 11mb/s and a length of 18 seconds which would create a file of about 200mb.

to get more info from mediainfo put it into text mode, then you can copy/paste all the info here.

since the file is only 8MB you can upload it here and let us download it and take a look at it if you want.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ok guys, a little update.

I downloaded the trial for - https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Video-Repair-Tool -.

Upon using itI was greeted with a perfect video.. with sound and the like (while played in VLC media player). However, as you know.. it only fixes 50% of the video, and it's a LOT of money to buy the program. Is there any alternative?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    looks to small to be complete video file. the one you used mediainfo on is listed as 8.3MB which is 66.4mb. the bitrate listed is 11mb/s and a length of 18 seconds which would create a file of about 200mb.

to get more info from mediainfo put it into text mode, then you can copy/paste all the info here.

since the file is only 8MB you can upload it here and let us download it and take a look at it if you want.
    Sorry Dude, I missed your input as I was posting at the same time. However, if you look at my update you will see where I'm up to. I have sound, video and everything, once run through the repair program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can search around for programs that can replace the header. they usually work by taking a known good video extracting the header and then using it to replace the header in the bad video file. some people can do it themselves with a hex editor. there are a couple programs that can do it but i can't remember their names so you'll have to search.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    you can search around for programs that can replace the header. they usually work by taking a known good video extracting the header and then using it to replace the header in the bad video file. some people can do it themselves with a hex editor. there are a couple programs that can do it but i can't remember their names so you'll have to search.
    I've had a look, seems to only be one around for a .mov :/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    upload one here? and if you have a working one that also, maybe the 1/2 repaired one.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I'll do what I can..
    Here we go. I have uploaded an original and a fixed file. Hope that helps shine light on the situation.

Thanks

Oliver
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Can someone confirm for me whether they did upload? Thanks

Edit@ if they havent, the links are here

http://files.videohelp.com/u/213923/QT00297%20-%20repaired.mov

and http://files.videohelp.com/u/213923/QT00297.mov
    Last edited by Oliverl1; 11th Jul 2012 at 13:24. Reason: new links
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they didn't show up in the first post but the links work in the second.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i can recover the video with fixenV2 but no audio. can't find anything to get me the audio out of the bad file to mux with the recovered video either.

small recoded sample attached at very low bitrate. the actual recovered video is the same as was recorded.
    Image Attached Files
    --
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    i can recover the video with fixenV2 but no audio. can't find anything to get me the audio out of the bad file to mux with the recovered video either.

small recoded sample attached at very low bitrate. the actual recovered video is the same as was recorded.
    Aedipuss, let me first start by saying thank you for your help.
    I really do appreciate you trying things your side for me.
    Unfortunately, I think I'm just going to go with the 50% video, I've spoken to the camera owner and he is just delighted anything could be done.
    I appreciate your help here!
    Quote Quote  
  16. http://mp4repair.org will show you free previews of your damaged Kodak Zx1 files.
    This is a web app, no need to install software.

-- Benoît
    Quote Quote